Water pump pulley?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Jhastings
Cetane Booster

Water pump pulley?

Post by Jhastings »

So I ordered a water pump from Jack and while replacing it today, I realized that the head where the pulley bolts to is larger than the one I have. Do I have a weird pump or what? All other bolts line up and gasket is the same, just the triangular deal that the pulley bolts to.

Jamie
81' Caddy 1.6NA 4-speed, 11mm block(drilled and tapped with 12mm head, .040 over, and ARP studs.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

There are two different water pumps, one for cars without AC and one for cars with AC. You likely got the wrong pump. You can run the other pully (if you have one) as my car with AC has the non AC water pump on it (or just the opposite). Just the AC compressor and water pump pully are about 1/8" apart is all, but it will swap out ok.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
idhoho
Turbo Charger

Post by idhoho »

Take the pump to a machine shop along with the old one and have the parts swapped. If you have a press or access to one- you can do it yourself :o
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

That style water pump was used on cars to about 1981. 1982 and later cars used the smaller water pump. So, if the years dont' match, you either ordered the wrong pump, or someone swapped the motor at some point.

If you need a pulley with the larger center bore, I think I have some. Send me a PM.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

The pullys might have different diameters.
I remember doing this swap and have interference with the crank pully.
Can't remember which way I swapped, large to small,... or small to large.
Seems like it was large-to-small, when I couldn't find the proper non-AC waterpump pully for the large centered waterpump..
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Fatmobile wrote:The pullys might have different diameters.
They physically have different sizes. They may also have different bolt mounting to them, I don't recall. I have an 82 AC car which uses the smaller diameter pully, to spin the pump faster. I mistakenly got a non AC water pump many years ago and swapped the pully to a non AC one as that was easier than replacing the pump again. Since the non AC pully is larger, I have very tight clearances to my AC compressor, but never really had issues otherwise.

I have too many to count
Jhastings
Cetane Booster

Post by Jhastings »

The new water pump is set up for a larger pulley. It also has different vanes to move the water. Bolt holes are all the same for mounting to pump housing. I pulled the heads from the pumps and tried to press small head on new pump. Only problem is the taper on the head is at the top and it doesn't fit all that tight. Oh well, a few spot welds will fix that.

Thanks for the help.

Jamie
81' Caddy 1.6NA 4-speed, 11mm block(drilled and tapped with 12mm head, .040 over, and ARP studs.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Sorry, the different bolt mounting pattern I had referred to was for mounting the pully to the pump, not the pump to the housing. Sorry about that but glad you are getting it fixed.

I have too many to count