Injection pump leaking, any ideas?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

VW Jon
Turbo Charger

Post by VW Jon »

Do a search for Delco Diesel in Oklahoma. That's where I bought the DGK-126 kits.
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Re: MY TURN!

Post by tylernt »

rcw7585 wrote:People have referenced their "Local Bosch" supplier, but I know of none.
Just about any major city has a place or two that will service those 18-wheeler big rigs. Just look for Fuel Injection or Diesel Service in the Yellow Pages.
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
danfromsyr
Glow Plug

Post by danfromsyr »

reading thru this entire thread and hoping to do this procedure one night afterwork this week..

I had thought there was a write up with images? maybe on the TDI board.. I'll have to check before I undo the pumphead..

is the center bolt extension&holder necessary part? I have the 4 bolts for the pump head to slide out on.

thanks

Dan
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

If you don't keep the plunger firmly pressed against the rollers and camplate, then one or more little parts might fall out of place inside the pump and disaster will result.

Andrew
danfromsyr
Glow Plug

Post by danfromsyr »

Well, went down to the local big box and bought a longer 8mx~40mm bolt for the center hole to keep tension on the camplate.
was able to turn all 3 bolts by hand thru the procedure. 2 pump housing bolts and center camplate retaining bolt.
they have differing thread pitches so the ramp rate of the screws would on occasion bind but only by finger tight
turn 2 housing bolts (in or out) then turn cam plate retianing bolt.. just a little routine to a controled movement of the pump head.

I won't know full success till after I get the rest of the stuff done.. will be changing the throttle cable next. and have to rewiring todo in the engine bay to make me happier. trying to get Dad's work van back on the road after sitting for ~6months.. seems every car in his yard gets the doors stuck if left sat for a few months..
vw_commuter
Cetane Booster

Post by vw_commuter »

danfromsyr wrote:reading thru this entire thread and hoping to do this procedure one night afterwork this week..

I had thought there was a write up with images? maybe on the TDI board.. I'll have to check before I undo the pumphead..

is the center bolt extension&holder necessary part? I have the 4 bolts for the pump head to slide out on.

thanks

Dan
The post with pictures is here.

I saved the page locally with all of the pictures because you never know when a link will go dead.

Greg
jolotter
Diesel Freak

Post by jolotter »

I did the procedure today. I had to convince the diesel shop I knew what I was doing in order that they would sell me the kit, but then got them to throw in a second seal for the high pressure head. I'll use the kit on a full pump rebuild later.

The first time my shim under the bolt wasn't long enough and I ran out of threads with the o-ring just barely visible. I put it all back and did it a second time with a longer shim; probably 9 mm long.

The o-ring I took out looked a little scuffed, but not torn. My drip was about every 2 seconds.

No more leak! Thanks Michael for the how-to.

Johann
83.5 Westy 1.6 TD
93 1.9TD engine in the shed
hewittd
Glow Plug

Post by hewittd »

First, I want to say thanks so much to everyone that figured out how to do this and to those that were willing to try it first. I finally got around to doing this and it worked great. I did have one question though. I have a 79 rabbit and when I loosened the hydraulic pump there was no rubber o-ring installed. Is that weird? Also, was it bad that I installed one if it didnt have one? It fixed my drip but now I'm surprised I didn't have a flood coming out with no o-ring in there.

-Dylan
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

There is equipment out there that was made to run without gasket's. Steam turbines and Ario motorcycles. Just machine and stone the surface it will seal. But it's not very forgiving. If the joints aren't sturdy enough they leak. The motorcycles leaked and the steam turbines don't.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Was there a groove to slide the seal into?
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
hewittd
Glow Plug

Post by hewittd »

Not much of one if any. The hydraulic pump reinstalled pretty flush up against the injection pump body though. Will it hurt anything if I leave it in there?
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I can't believe there wasn't a seal.
Are you sure you pulled the head out far enough to see it?
It's not right up against the end, the groove the seal fits into goes down inside.
The seal doesn't smash up again the end. It slides down inside,.. seals against the inside edge of the pump body.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
hewittd
Glow Plug

Post by hewittd »

I backed the thing off almost an entire inch and still didn't see a seal.
odie
Cetane Booster

Post by odie »

i just did mine and that groove is only like 1/8-1/4 inch below the head. is this a bosch or cav pump?
1981 VW Caddy with 85 diesel Jetta motor
1987 MB 300TDT diesel
1983 D50 Ram 2.3TD diesel
1985 Isuzu Pup 223 diesel
1983 RV 6.2 TD diesel
1983 Maxima diesel (sold) :-(
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

For those not ambitious enough to try the "In-Car Head 0-ring replacement", here's a link for "Out-of-car Head O-ring replacement".

http://www.eastment.net/Boschpump8.htm
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>