Veg oil

Anything related to biodiesel/biofuels, questions, answers, technical information for all VW Diesel Engines should go here.

Moderator: Fatmobile

A1-2-A3
Turbo Charger

Veg oil

Post by A1-2-A3 »

Can you put new cooking oil into the diesel tank and will it run all the same. What kind of oil is the best and how much as in %/tank can you run? Its cheaper than diesel cause its 6.5/7 dollars a gallon now for diesel. Guys dump used engine oil in thier tanks and run that so I can not see why it would not work.
The VW RABBIT the most important car for VW second only to the BUG.

my band..
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Barrel-Mu ... 9006395026
hailu
Cetane Booster

Post by hailu »

I've done a ton of research about SVO/WVO, although i've never implemented a system myself.

From what i understand, it's imperative to have the oil heated.

A provider local to us, greasercar.com says that veg oil should be a minimum of 160F to be, in laymans terms, the same thickness as diesel. I think that oil should be right around 190F to perform in a fuel system exactly the same as diesel; that's what im going to shoot for when i covert our car... when i get some free time ;)

I wouldn't just pour oil into my tank, b/c i'd be too paranoid about how not perfect 'thickness' of the oil would effect the injector pump, and far more importantly, the injectors.

The first thing that comes to mind is carbon desposits building up on the injector nozzles, possilby clogging them, making your car run like s**t, or not running at all.

That said ,i think vw diesel motors would in fact run (for a time) just fine with veg oil just poured in the tank, but i'd never do that to our car.

just my 2 cents
1994 1.9L TD AAZ Jetta
jason
Cetane Booster

Post by jason »

You can run vegetable oil in these engines but you really need to install a second heated fuel system if you are going to do it reliably for the long term. Some people use kerosene or number 1 diesel to thin out the vegetable oil and throw it in the main tank, though I don't know at what percentages or how long term reliability is affected.

The place with the largest community of people running veg oil is at http://biodiesel.infopop.cc Check out the SVO (Straight Vegetable Oil) and the Solvent Thinning sections, you'll find tons of info.
1982 Rabbit Diesel (was an automatic with a 1.6 N.A. mechanical now its a manual with a 1.6 N.A. hydraulic)
1998 New Beetle TDI
1988 Ford F250 Diesel
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

I run 1qt of filtered waste veggie oil with an 8g fillup, which makes for a 1:32 ratio or 3%. I've been doing it for maybe 6 months with no ill effects so far, even in the winter. I'm not sure how safe it is to run higher concentrations.

And for the record, I wouldn't run used motor oil unless it was sub-micron filtered and by the time you do that you might as well run new oil. I've seen oil at dollar stores, so at $4/g it's still cheaper than diesel. With dino oil you could probably run a 1:16 ratio or 6% since it doesn't have those organic fatty compounds that veggie oil has. Your injection pump will enjoy the extra lubricity too.

PS: I'm using my WVO with B20 Biodiesel, if that makes a difference.
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
A1-2-A3
Turbo Charger

Post by A1-2-A3 »

I have never seen biodiesel at ANY pump, never been to the States for awhile. Maybe I will wait till I have time and set up a grease system and do the 2nd tank.
The VW RABBIT the most important car for VW second only to the BUG.

my band..
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Barrel-Mu ... 9006395026
Greenmachine
Diesel Freak

Post by Greenmachine »

Since it has been reliably hot out (75-90 F), I've been running up to 75% filtered WVO in my tank, no problems. A cold day would stop me in my tracks though, it can be hard to start on oil.
------------------------------------------------------
1970 1776 Double Cab
1980 2.0 Aircooled Vanagon "Riviesty"
1981 1.6 N/A Caddy
------------------------------------------------------
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I'm moving this to the biofuels fora.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
omar
Glow Plug

wvo filtering video and ideas

Post by omar »

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=dFQ4h6UyF ... howtos.htm

here is a video that may help you out

here is a link with a lot of wvo filtering ideas
wvo filter bag ideas and waste veggie oil filtering http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/ ... 6961060812

good luck with your veggie adventure
Omar