What to do...

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Monomer
Cetane Booster

What to do...

Post by Monomer »

I'm debating on which would be cheaper:

My 1.6 NA is shot. bores look decent (would need a plus size) pistons are shot, head is warped.

I'd like to make it a GTD. I Cant find anyone that'll sell me a turbo block and head/exhaust mani. and nothing else. and a rebuild looks costly and time consuming....

anyone?
92 Mercedes-Benz 300D 2.5
83 VW Rabbit 1.5 N/A 5-speed
83 Mercedes-Benz 380SEL
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

There on e-bay all the time. Just a question of how much you want to spend.
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
Monomer
Cetane Booster

Post by Monomer »

CoolAirVw wrote:There on e-bay all the time. Just a question of how much you want to spend.
I wish this parts place would return my e-mail.

I'm looking at atleast a couple of grand. This is going into a pristine (as far as rust go's) Rabbit. If it lasts 200k like this engine did, I don't mind the cost.

Nothing on ebay except a rebuild able core. I'd much like to see what I'm buying anyways.
83 Mercedes-Benz 380SEL
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Sounds like you want to have a reliable engine,... want to see it before you buy it,... so you'll probably want to buy one locally:,...

Where are you at?
I don't see a location under your username.
I'm debating on which would be cheaper:
If it lasts 200k like this engine did, I don't mind the cost.
If you can't find a TD under your terms, rebuild the engine you have.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Monomer
Cetane Booster

Post by Monomer »

Detroit

I'll put that in my profile now....

with 2 (somewhat) local VW ONLY shops, you'd figure it'd be easy.

I do not have the time for making the NA block into a turbo.
83 Mercedes-Benz 380SEL
Monomer
Cetane Booster

Post by Monomer »

I found one locally.

$1500 (with core) for a running TD with an estimated 150k miles on it.

how bad of a deal is this?
83 Mercedes-Benz 380SEL
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Monomer wrote:how bad of a deal is this?
Honestly, it depends on the condition of the motor and turbo. It's a poor deal if you need to service either one of them, IMO, and likely even expensive in the first place. However, everyone seems to ask a lot for the motors. I see turbo cars on ebay going for a little more than this and higher prices. Of course, at $2000-$2500, the cars aren't perfect, but for that price you get a complete car. At a minimum, I'd expect the IP to have to be resealed before long due to the ULSD fuels, and if it were me, I'd want to hear it run first. You may also want to check the condition of the valve lifters to see if it's had valve/piston contact or not and would likely want to run a compression check. What's the warranty if you get it home and it has poor compression?
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Monomer
Cetane Booster

Post by Monomer »

Engine includes IP and turbo, apparently.

theres a wrecked TDI beetle (2003?) locally - same price for the engine, less miles. How hard would it be to fit?
83 Mercedes-Benz 380SEL
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

That's a good deal for a TD.
Concidering it's the only one you can find locally,...
and some local folks around here sold a Wolfburg Jetta TD with no oil pressure for $2500.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
A1-2-A3
Turbo Charger

Post by A1-2-A3 »

I am a guy that dropped $2500 on a N/A. If I could do it again I would put a 1.9tdi, more reliable, better fuel mileage, less smoke, more power, smoother engine and about the same cost. The ONLY reason to really dump large amounts of cash on these dated engines is to be different and the simplicity no real other reason I can see. Oh I forgot clearing out parking lots on cold starts thats always a blast. But in the end its each to his own. The tdi swap is not really a walk in the park there is a ecu and wiring and sensors and cluster and some fabrication work.
The VW RABBIT the most important car for VW second only to the BUG.

my band..
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Barrel-Mu ... 9006395026
Monomer
Cetane Booster

Post by Monomer »

A1-2-A3 wrote:I am a guy that dropped $2500 on a N/A. If I could do it again I would put a 1.9tdi, more reliable, better fuel mileage, less smoke, more power, smoother engine and about the same cost. The ONLY reason to really dump large amounts of cash on these dated engines is to be different and the simplicity no real other reason I can see. Oh I forgot clearing out parking lots on cold starts thats always a blast. But in the end its each to his own. The tdi swap is not really a walk in the park there is a ecu and wiring and sensors and cluster and some fabrication work.
will a 1.9 bolt in? We're talking the "aaz" (whatever that stands for..) motors, right? will it bolt in the car, and to my 5speed?

I was thinking an M-TDI, as I would not have to deal with the intense wiring of the TDI (mainly, the instrument cluster)
83 Mercedes-Benz 380SEL
A1-2-A3
Turbo Charger

Post by A1-2-A3 »

As far as I know ANY 4 banger gas diesel VW 8v engine will bolt to the 020 tranny lineup with no modification. As far as fitting into you car what are you putting this into a rabbit? I don't think its too hard to install you see them all the time. There is I think a couple guys on here that have 1.9s in the a-1.
The VW RABBIT the most important car for VW second only to the BUG.

my band..
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Barrel-Mu ... 9006395026