Getting the 4 door project ready for the energy fair

Anything related to biodiesel/biofuels, questions, answers, technical information for all VW Diesel Engines should go here.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Getting the 4 door project ready for the energy fair

Post by Fatmobile »

I'm converting the 4 door project:
viewtopic.php?t=6236
to run on vegy.
Got to have it done by the 18th so I can get to the energy fair on vegy, without having to drive the old Fatmobile workhorse
I try to do some improvements on each conversion.
This one will have it's lines running inside the rocker panels and the filter will be inside the passenger fender:

I want to turbo this little 1.5 so I need that passenger side area for the airfilter box.

Here's the fuel/coolant line bundle that goes to the tank in the back:
Radiator hoses work great to contain and protect the bundle.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
jason
Cetane Booster

Post by jason »

I hope you get it done in time, I would like to see how you end up routing the lines through the rocker panel. I've taken the vegetable oil system out of my car for the restore, but when I put it back in I would love to have the lines concealed like that, passengers were a little uncomfortable having a big visible bundle of coolant and fuel lines running right underneath them :D I see you've gone the hose on hose route for this one; I remember when I saw the Fatmobile you were using hose in hose, any reason for the change? I used hose on hose for my Rabbit and F250 and it seemed to work pretty well.

Jason
1982 Rabbit Diesel (was an automatic with a 1.6 N.A. mechanical now its a manual with a 1.6 N.A. hydraulic)
1998 New Beetle TDI
1988 Ford F250 Diesel
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

The actual fuel line is HWH.
The lines running next to it are coolant return to engine and vegy return to tank.
Here's another look at the vegy filter:
The hose with the dotted line is supplying coolant (coolant doesn't mean it cools anything, should I say heatant? :? )to the HWH, notice when it meets the HWH it goes in 2 directions. Half goes back to the tank and the other half goes through the filter heater and onward toward the engine. That allows twice the coolant flow but also requires 2 return hoses.
The hose with the solid stripe is coolant heading back to the engine from the tank, after heating the oil in the line from the tank to the filter.
The brown PEX line running past the filter is the return to tank. I don't use it often but it works great when it's time to purge air from the line. I run a looped return and believe that every once in awhile fuel in this loop needs to be flushed back to the tank and sent back through the filter.

Here's a look at the gasser waterneck with the extra 5/8" port, used for supplying coolant to the HWH (dotted hose), and the place coolant from the tank is returned to (striped line):
I had 2, 3/8" ports welded onto the metal coolant return line, for the returning coolant. Cleans it up, looks better than a "T" and hose clamps.
Many of the improvements I make on each new system I install are about making it look cleaner. This time I ran the fuel/coolant line bundle through the rocker panel under the doors. This is alot easier on a 2 door. On a 4 door there is very little room between the rear door and the wheel well. I had to cut a route and cover it with a shield:
That was the most difficult part of the conversion... I dreaded having to mess with it. The shield looks worse now after loading the car so heavy with car parts coming back from Osh Kosh Golf part out. It rubbed when I went to leave, I had to remove the wheel and take a hammer to it,.. it still rubbed occasionally on the way home. Ha, I probably should have put the Golf springs on the rear of my car before I loaded it.

Here's the heating and pickup tubes that were installed inside the vegy tank:
The center tube is obviously the pickup. I took a cuttoff wheel and cut slots halfway through the tube all along the bottom. It pulls fuel past the hot outer tubing loop that surrounds it. The extra ports on the flange are a fill port and a barbed fitting for the return-to-tank.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

... And the vegy system gets me some good parking places at festivals.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
hippiehulahooper
Turbo Charger

hippie

Post by hippiehulahooper »

fatmobile's a hippie! :lol:
90 Jetta chasis, NA mech. PS, AC.
parts needed:drivers side rain gutter, drivers side rocker panel and rear flare

86 Jetta TD(bottom end needs rebuild)