Vegetable Oil: Single Tank vs Twin Tank conversion

Anything related to biodiesel/biofuels, questions, answers, technical information for all VW Diesel Engines should go here.

Moderator: Fatmobile

thegcstoat
Glow Plug

Vegetable Oil: Single Tank vs Twin Tank conversion

Post by thegcstoat »

Hi all,

I just got myself a VW Golf which I'm already running on about 50/50 diesel veg oil. I plan to carry out a conversion on the car and I'm wondering what everyone's opinion is on the best conversion.

With my understanding, the single tank conversion uses an electrical heater to heat the veg oil (and possibly a water heater when the engine is hot enough?) allowing the car to be run on 100% veg oil.

With the twin tank conversion, there is a water heater which means the car needs to be started on diesel then switched to veg oil when the engine is up to temperature. The car is then switched back to diesel for the last couple of miles to flush the system which the single tank system can't do.

How essential is the 'flushing' carried out by the twin tank system? Does anyone have any opinions or other pointers I've missed? Thanks for any feedback.

Matt.
caveman
Diesel Freak

Post by caveman »

Unless you have a system from a company like Elsbett i wouldn't run any single tank setup or mix VO in with your diesel. The problem is using VO in a cold motor. This will led to injector coking and cylinder wall glazing. Better tom use a 2 tank setup. More work involved but better for the life of the motor.
1971 super beetle

1990 t3 transporter 1.9na
jaysun9
Glow Plug

Post by jaysun9 »

I'm definately in favor of the two tank systems as it separates the two fuel systems and allows for the option to switch back if need be. Also it is optimal to have your veg heated and in the single tank land you are primarily starting up on cold veg. Though theoretically the injection pump and injectors can handle it, the long term effects I'm not sure about. With the two tank there are many options out there to dial in a nice setup. Enjoy the veggie endeavors!