It lives!

Moderator: Fatmobile

libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Are you sure the engine was actually spinning and not just the starter? Sometimes the starter doesn't fully engage into the flywheel. That would make a whirring sound. Any chance?

I can't think of any situation where there would be zero compression on all four cylinders and then it would return to normal.

Andrew
jolotter
Diesel Freak

Post by jolotter »

I think I know what it is. The other day I was pulling away after starting it in my driveway. As I accelerated gently, the engine coughed a bit and so I let up on the throttle. It was fine after that. The other two times when it stalled, I was accelerating after startup. A minute later it started and drove fine.

I think it must be a fuel problem. Either the filter's blocked. But it's only a month old, unless the gas tank is self-cleaning since the switchover to diesel, or else the air I'm finding in the return lines is from a leak at the IP.

Also the fuel solenoid could be getting funky. Going on/off. I'll check the wiring, but with the acceleration being a factor, I'm leaning toward fuel starvation.

Johann
83.5 Westy 1.6 TD
93 1.9TD engine in the shed
jolotter
Diesel Freak

Post by jolotter »

I've just returned from a 1000 mi trip. About half way through, I noticed a trail of drips in a parking lot which led directly under my engine. Diesel fuel!

Back at the campground I found it was leaking pretty bad from the plunger measuring bolt hole on the IP. I tightened it up a bit and it started to pour out! Eeek! On taking it out I discovered I had accidentally put on two copper washers and that's what caused the leak. Got it back together just in time to be out of the campsite and on the road when the rainstorm hit.

Interestingly, the marine squeeze bulb has a really hard tim drawing the fuel through the system. Maybe the rise of about 12 inches is too much for it of maybe there's an obstruction somewhere. I'll change the filter and see if that helps.

I've about a thousand miles on my rebuilt engine and I'd say the power is slightly better than with the old 1.9 wbx. Traveling the same country roads, fully loaded, I am downshifting less on hills. I am mindful of the new engine and keep EGTs below 1400 except for short runs. Have not yet hit 1500.

Soon I will start to increase boost. I notice the turbo lag with the K24 as libbybapa predicted, but don't find it dangerous or terribly annoying.

I got a dipstick from a 75 dodge truck that reaches into the oil, unlike the short jetta one. It sure feels better being able to check that.

Johann
83.5 Westy 1.6 TD
93 1.9TD engine in the shed
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

The lag is significantly more pronounced at higher elevations.

Andrew