What do they sound like

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

A1-2-A3
Turbo Charger

What do they sound like

Post by A1-2-A3 »

My car is making this sound it always has and now its very loud and also has some sort of rattling that increases and decreases with rpm and goes away at 2200 rpm and above. It kinda sounds like the injectors spraying and also with some klanking. Its also hard to start cold fires to 1000rpm and then shuts off, did that 20 times after work till it finally ran and when it does run it does not miss a beat(so probably not air in the fuel lines as it would miss after it would fire after it started if it was) . I am thinking hopefully timing advanced? But this funny sound that it has always made I wonder if thats normal. Kind of a sheeet sheeet sound. I will do a file with a link to how it sounds by this weekend(if it don't blow up by then)
Well that description is really garbage but might make sense to someone. The sound file will make some sense at least. On the upside my 2 1/4" exhaust with a cherry bomb muffler works great! Quiet as factory but a little bark from 3200-4000 when shifting through the gears(yeah I am still mental for the car sounds at age 31)
The VW RABBIT the most important car for VW second only to the BUG.

my band..
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Barrel-Mu ... 9006395026
A1-2-A3
Turbo Charger

Post by A1-2-A3 »

So I got around to checking it out and I put a wrench on the crank and at the same spot of every revolution it made a clink pop sound. I thought here we go time to check out the bottom end. The wife was outside and while I turned she was listening. She said well sounds somewhere around the injection pump. I took the alt belt off and it didnt make any sounds. It turns out it was two bolts 3/4 a turn loose on the water pump pulley. I put red locktite on all the pulley bolts. Did that ever make one hell of a sound just like a con rod or pistion pin knock. But I am sure happy it was something easy for once. Just a reminder tightening bolts on these diesel engines to spec does almost nothing with all the shaking going on. I put red loctite on every bolt, especially the damn oil pan bolts that I could tighten 3 times a week and come loose and even fall out every second day.
The VW RABBIT the most important car for VW second only to the BUG.

my band..
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Barrel-Mu ... 9006395026