Mike's Veggie Gen-Set

Anything related to biodiesel/biofuels, questions, answers, technical information for all VW Diesel Engines should go here.

Moderator: Fatmobile

CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Mike's Veggie Gen-Set

Post by CoolAirVw »

Mike posted a question regarding his engine and I e-mailed him a few times asking questions about his veggie gen-set. From <a href="viewtopic.php?t=8621" target="_blank">THIS THREAD</a>

I thought it might make interesting "content" for this forum so here it is for your enjoyment.

Here's pics of his set up.

ImageImage

I asked him to tell me about his set up and he replied.....
Hi, I have enclosed a couple of pictures of the generator. The generator is a 37.5 KW 3 phase generator. It is an old Marathon generator. I actually made a shaft that would bolt to the crank shaft of the motor and used a love joy coupling in between the shaft and the pulley shaft. The generator runs at 1700 rpms. Hoping the cruise control I have installed will keep the right rpms. as I have only used it with a cruise control for about 30 minutes before my head gasket blew. I bought the engine at a local VW shop and was told it was an '86 model. Of course now I know it was late '70s. So far I have replaced everything on the engine I think. The black thing on top you see in the picture on top of the generator housing is a heat exchanger that I am going to run vegetable oil through to preheat from the water of the engine. I have experimented with a Thermo King diesel engine for about 3 years and have used nothing but straight vegetable oil and it fires up every time I use it. That is my plan for this engine, to run it on vegetable oil as well. I have collected and filtered about 1200 gallons of veggie oil so far.
Let me know if you have any questions. I will try to answer them. Here are a couple of pics. I can send more if you want particular views or whatever. Also, I did send these small in case you have dial up.
Mike

I asked Mike....

Are you getting off the grid your financial reasons or are you in an area that doesn't have a grid? (hunting cabin ect.)

And he replied....
Our electric rates continue to go up and I just decided why not run the electric baseboard, hot water heater, dryer, etc... off of the generator. I doubt I will run the computers , tv, etc... on the generator. I will probably just keep that stuff on the grid. The generator can run the whole house though, if need be. It is powerful enough.

Mike

Is your 37.5Kw going to be able to run a whole household? Like AC, electric washer/dryer, TV ect, all (mostly) at the same time? Are you net-metering?

He replied...
Basically a 37.5 KW is 37.5 thousand watts. As far as net metering it is not worth it here. There is no incentive to net meter. We are just getting off the grid for our own use. As far as posting the pics. I dont mind at all. Help yourself.
Take care
Mike
I am asking him for more pics and some more questions. I'll post more if I get it, or maybe he'll post here himself. Please post if you find this valuable or interesting info.
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
Kanzan
Diesel Freak

Post by Kanzan »

CoolAirVw, thanks for the update, very interesting. Kanzan