injector leak

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

robmee
Cetane Booster

injector leak

Post by robmee »

I tested the injectors (loosen the fuel line to see if RPM dropped... it did on all of them). They are new nozzles so they should work good. The problems I am running into are that the injectors are leaking where they break apart (lower and upper treads). is there a gasket for this or do I just need to wrench them down....new injectors all together?

Seems as soon as I fix one thing another thing is broken.

Thanks
Rob
=============
85' Golf n/a - my little head ache
idhoho
Turbo Charger

Post by idhoho »

Sounds like you didn't get all the carbon out of the injectors when you replaced the nozzles. You will likely need to remove the injectors, break 'em open again and make sure you get all the carbon out of the injector bodies. I use carb cleaner and a plumber's wire brush for cleaning copper tubing. They are round like a bottlebrush and do a good job. DON'T crank 'em down in the head! Those torque values are engineered. Steel injector- aluminum head... be careful :wink:
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Re: injector leak

Post by Vincent Waldon »

robmee wrote:I tested the injectors (loosen the fuel line to see if RPM dropped... it did on all of them). They are new nozzles so they should work good. The problems I am running into are that the injectors are leaking where they break apart (lower and upper treads). is there a gasket for this or do I just need to wrench them down....new injectors all together?

Thanks
Are you talking about a leak between the halves of the injector body itself ?? If so they probably need to be lapped and reassembled:

http://vincewaldon.com/index.php?option ... &Itemid=28

They should be recalibrated as well... lapping will change the breaking pressure a bit.
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
robmee
Cetane Booster

Post by robmee »

cool thanks, seems that is my issue
Rob
=============
robmee
Cetane Booster

Post by robmee »

well I replaced the whole injector and I do have an after market fuel pump(was done before I bought it) and if I leave it on the new injector leak like the old ones. Could the return line be clogged? or did I get bad injectors?
Rob
=============
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I don't think the pump could do anything that would make the injectors leak.
When they hit a certain pressure they open up and spray. They should be able to handle the internal pressure.
Just seeing some bubbleing between the halves? Sometimes you'll have that when they are first fired up,.. stuff boils off.
or is there a stream of fuel flowing from them.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Unless the aftermarket fuel pump is something that has high flow at high pressure, I doubt it's causing the problem. If the fuel pump is high pressure, you could be pushing so much fuel into the IP that it's flowing out and pressurizing the return line so much.

Are you 100% positive that the injector is leaking at the mid point and not somewhere else? I ask this as it may look like it's leaking at the half point, but could be leaking up higher on the injector. If it's leaking at the half point, I'd remove the injector, and snug the two halves together just a bit more. Don't crank on it, just snug up the connection a little tighter than it is and reinstall. That is how I've solved any and all of my injectors that leak at their separation point.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
robmee
Cetane Booster

Post by robmee »

The leak seems to be right where they break apart and it is not a bubble but not a stream. It seems to do it after the pump/car has run for a bit. I will remove them and re torque them to see if that fixes the issue. If the pump is shut off the car will still run. Also is there an easy way to check the return line for clogs?
Rob
=============
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

I doubt the return line is the issue. I would think that the weak part of the return line system is the rubber lines that connect to the barbs on the injectors. Those should leak much faster than any threaded seam, if pressure was causing the leak. Make sure you install a new heat shield when you replace the injector.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

If it's leaking from the center, you might just want to use an old heat shield when you put it back in, just to see if it still leaks after you torque the body a little tighter.
I remember someone else going through this and going through quite a few new heat shields.
Maybe punch the center of the heat shield in toward the injector sealing surface and reinstall,.. if it doesn't leak around the center of the body pull it out and replace the heat shield,... just an odd suggestion.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
robmee
Cetane Booster

Post by robmee »

tightened, but still leaking, just ordered 12 new heat shields. I may just try to fix the old fuel pump and get rid of the aftermarket one. I will post a pic of it when I get back home(working now).
Rob
=============
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

robmee wrote:The leak seems to be right where they break apart and it is not a bubble but not a stream. It seems to do it after the pump/car has run for a bit. I will remove them and re torque them to see if that fixes the issue. If the pump is shut off the car will still run. Also is there an easy way to check the return line for clogs?
Huh?
If there is something wrong with this replacement pump solenoid then this will happpen.

If this pump has a fault on the return banjo then too much pressure may be going back up the leakoff pipes and they tend to leak if you just look at them wrongly
Last edited by Quantum-man on Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
robmee
Cetane Booster

Post by robmee »

The replacement pump is on a switch that it can be shut off, the car will still run, I will try to see how long it will run without the pump on (I changed all the fuses so maybe the old pump is running again). Some of this car seems to be rigged in odd ways. The leak doesn't show up right away, just after it has run for a few minute. I will time it to see how long it takes to show up and check the banjo. I need to replace the fuel lines anyway, so maybe there is crud in the return line.

Thanks,
Rob
=============
robmee
Cetane Booster

Post by robmee »

hmm, I am new to the way diesels work....I know dumb question coming but, the IP pulls the fuel from the tank right and there is no fuel pump right?

If so, then I have no idea why the guy I got the car from put the inline pump there. I have been able to start the car with out the pump on within 1 to 2 cranks and VOOM. I took to return line of the IP and put a line on it to a fuel can. I ran the car for 15 min like this and no leaks from the injectors. I am going to change the lines and see if I can blow out the old lines to see what I get.
Rob
=============
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

the real test is to see if it pulls enough fuel to move along at normal speeds, up hills, etc. If the line is only partially restricted it may idle all day without the helper pump. I've had a little experience with this, idled fine but ran out of fuel going up hills without the helper pump. Had a partially clogged fuel line.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe