Biodiesel on timing belt

Anything related to biodiesel/biofuels, questions, answers, technical information for all VW Diesel Engines should go here.

Moderator: Fatmobile

davidpa28140
Cetane Booster

Biodiesel on timing belt

Post by davidpa28140 »

Hi guys hoping for some guidance here. Last week I had a viton (yes the $$$ stuff) fuel hose simply break in two right by the timing belt cover(new belt 1500miles ago) I had a slight bend in the hose about a 30 degree angle or less. My issue is the timing belt is now a slimly mess and the belt is falling apart literally. Has this ever happened to anyone else? I am concerned that maybe the injector pump could be leaking and spraying some Biodiesel on the belt. But I can't see any leaks around the pump at all running or shut down. Would it be safe to assume that my hose breaking incident was the cause of the timing belt disintegrate? It pumped alot of full overboard before I stopped the truck(it was the return line) maybe I filled the timing belt cover up with Bio and the belt has been running through it for a few weeks?? I'd really like to hear your thoughts. Thanks,
Dave
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Try the blue urethane from motorcycle shops.
Yeah, with 1500 miles on it, I'd say the biodiesel probably tore it up.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
davidpa28140
Cetane Booster

Post by davidpa28140 »

Thanks for the reply, I'll give the Urethane a shot next. It seems to me that the straight Veggie is a little bit kinder to the hoses than the b100.