Old school tdi, needs help!

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

HeavyOiler
Glow Plug

Old school tdi, needs help!

Post by HeavyOiler »

Hi there,
I have finally fitted the great ''one wire wonder'' 1.6tdi into my 89 Caddy, after a year of it sitting around. It was difficult to start, but I had it timed by a pro, diagnosed fuel delivery problems eventually (new filter, glow worms etc)
Opon start up, I discovered that its leaking badly from the
''part that the cable mounts to...on the top left of the pump...has two springs below it-before it enters the pump body....appears to be a plastic black outer seal/bush''
The throttle cable mount on the top has a single bolt holding it in from the top in the center, it appears to have play on this (sorry for the dumb description!!) Throttle shaft bushing? Has it a seal in there too?
I dont want to dismantle it as the springs look complicated, and am worried that I will lose/mess up bits of the pump, so please feed me advice!!!
The engine is from a Golf GTD (mk2), and is the intercooled 80bhp version.
Its fitted with a Bosch pump, but I cant find any number on the body, but is different from the usual 1.6td pump (I have a spare td pump and was going to try and take the seal out, doubt its the same?)
Numbers I have found are 13B1301 by stop sol, 054 209 2 (or 3)54 B1 on the shaft end, none of which are correct, correct??
Cheers for any help, it has to be fixed asap, lost my storage space!
Andy
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

"one wire wonder"???
"Throttle cable""???
"mk2 golf GTD"????

probably not a tdi.. that would be an IDI.

Looseness in the throttle shaft seal would require a bushing replacement. They are available on the net. It can be done by the "do it yourself" but its not a easy fix.

The info you need, to give you the confidence to fix it yourself, is in the following link. Yes it has a seal, it probably an o-ring.

viewtopic.php?t=6694&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I thought this post sounded familiar:
viewtopic.php?t=8682
Might as well keep it in the general fora,... this doesn't sound like a TDI.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.