2001 Jetta TDI glow plugs

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

Hunter
Glow Plug

2001 Jetta TDI glow plugs

Post by Hunter »

I have had 3 sets of glow plugs in 80000 miles. The Jetta is also hard to start on mornings below 50 f. After it has been running, it starts just fine. Are the two things related?
vano7
Cetane Booster

YOU KNOW I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM

Post by vano7 »

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM ON MY 98 JETTA TDI . STILL TRYING TO FIGURE IT OUT

STILL ROCKEN
2 240 D
1 JETTA
1 300 D
caveman
Diesel Freak

Post by caveman »

If your MIL isn't on then check to see if the glow plug relay isn't sticking on. Possibly the ecu making the relay light up more than it should. Check after it starts, not just turning the key on till the dash light goes out. It will light up after it starts but should turn off after a few seconds [ i could check monday at the shop for the exact time ] Also very important that all the glow plugs are the same brand - beru OR bosch
1971 super beetle

1990 t3 transporter 1.9na
MayorDJQ
Diesel Freak

Post by MayorDJQ »

Something definitely isn't right. Most people go at least 100k before needing new GPs, and even then, they don't all burn out at the same time. If you have access to VAGCOM, you can use it to see how long the GPs are staying on, I forget which block it's in. Also, try cleaning the contacts on the harness.