Diesel automatic transmission conversion?

Moderator: Fatmobile

dr. no
Glow Plug

Diesel automatic transmission conversion?

Post by dr. no »

Yes, I know diesels don't like to rev high. I'm looking for experienced opinion with conversion (1.6 or 1.9td) into a Westy with the cast-iron 3-speed. As a note, typical highway RPMs are ~4200 with this. I'm not looking for a lot more power than the stock 2.1 but would like the efficiency, reliablity and "greenness" of the diesel.
I have read that the 1.6td makes its torque at higher revs, that may be an option, but I'd rather not feel like I'm whipping it to stay on the highway.
Possible issues:
different torque converter?
different AT unit/same transaxle?
re-gear (and what)?

I would be willing to trade the transmission for a 4-speed manual (no sissy drivers in our family) but I would rather not do the extra work if not needed.

Thanks
dr. no
Glow Plug

Post by dr. no »

82 views and no reply. At least I'm not getting pointless feedback.
caveman
Diesel Freak

Post by caveman »

There must be shops out there who modify those transmissions. Did you do a search to those different gears are even available?. In the end it may be cheaper to switch over to a stick
1971 super beetle

1990 t3 transporter 1.9na
rsxsr

Post by rsxsr »

I am new to this forum, but have a completed TDI vanagon conversion on the road. I am a member of some other groups and forums. I am not aware of anybody offering taller ring and pinions for the automatic or modified clutch packs to give you different ratios. I opted for taller tires and a 4 speed from an 80 gasser. I am seeing 3200 at 70mph. Since I installed a ALH TDI gearing was the last of my concerns. At some point, if I have transmission problems with the 3-4 hub, I would consider taller 3rd and 4th gears that I do see on fleebay from time to time. You might look at using an Audi 4000 automatic or a porsche 944. They might have had taller ratios, but I do not know for sure. Only the Vanagon used the cast iron diff case.