Vanagon diesel brake problem....grabbing and locking up

Moderator: Fatmobile

VanagonExpress

Vanagon diesel brake problem....grabbing and locking up

Post by VanagonExpress »

One of my old faithful Vanagon diesel is throwing fits. Yesterday coming back from Monterey the front brake, (drivers side) sounded absolutely terrible--almost like the pad was down to metal or worse.

I've replaced the pads on that van twice last year. The left front keeps grabbing hard when braking. Locking up.

I am wondering if the calipers are now history....

The heat out here has let up enough to allow me to work on it today, but it appears to be either the drivers side over working, or the passenger side piston hardly working....causing the lock up on the drivers side.

Ideas? Calipers?
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

I would disconnect the vac booster line and see if it still does it. If not then I would adjust the pedal free play or replace the booster.

Andrew
rsxsr

Post by rsxsr »

You could also have worn out flex hoses between the calipers and the chassis. They can look ok on the outside, but be partially plugged internally from swelling. This acts like a check valve. Keeping residual pressure on the caliper. Depending on the condition of the hoses, one brake can be "ahead' of the other. The test is simple with a jack and assistant.

Jack the front of the van up and properly support it. Spin the left tire and then the right with your hands. They should have equal resistance. Now have your assistant work the brakes a couple times while you spin the tires. The wheel should grab and release with each application. If you find that one does not release, try and open the bleeder valve on the dragging side. If that frees up the wheel, that would point to the flex hose. If you have never changed them, I would do all 4 while they are available. You never know. If the drag does not go with the bleeder open, you could have a seizeing caliper as well. Use caution jacking the van.