no rev

Moderator: Fatmobile

82 vanagon 01 tdi
Glow Plug

no rev

Post by 82 vanagon 01 tdi »

well after a long winter and lots of work, i fixed the 93 jetta crank gear and sold it , the car was to good for a doner, so the van got the 1.6 TD out of the 86, and the 86 got the van 1.6 na, wow it worked grate in the jetta,sold that one to.
So the vanagon got a dk trans from AA trans., new clutch pplate etc. and the 1.6td.
just trying to get thing done, motor and tranny are in will post some pic.s, I did some neet things with the turbo oil lines, motor mounts.
Now for the I need some help. I cant get the motor to rev up, it did when i first started it but after a few seconds it just ideals and will not rev up, i have primed it 3 times, will rev up about three times and then just idel after each time that i prime. help
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Bubbles in the clear line to the injection pump? Plugged filter? Plugged screen in tank?

Andrew
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

82 vanagon 01 tdi wrote:how do i get rid of the air in the line from filter to pump
If you use "post reply" rather than "new topic", your post will appear in the same thread, be easier to follow and keep the main menu less cluttered. Air in the line from pump to filter means that there is either a leak upstream of the pump (toward filter and tank) or there is a fuel line restriction (clogged filter or in-tank screen). If you haven't already done so, I would start by changing the fuel filter (probably needs it anyway). Make sure to fill the filter prior to install. If that didn't cure the issue, I would remove the hose at the tank. The diesel should pour out. If it trickles rather than pours, I would drop the tank and clean it out. It would be a good time to replace the tank grommets and lines. There are online vendors with tank reseal kits (be sure to get the right year as the filler neck is different.

Andrew
82 vanagon 01 tdi
Glow Plug

no rev

well i tried it all, filter lines are clear to tank.
and i hooked up a sucktion pump to the return side of the pump and it still wont rev. Is the pump shot?
stopping
Diesel Freak

Post by stopping »

How did you do your pump timing?

What is the history of the engine and pump?
82 vanagon 01 tdi
Glow Plug

no rev

motor ran grate in the jetta. nothing was changed. just seals and belt but pump was not touched.
stopping
Diesel Freak

Post by stopping »

It there smoke when it starts up eh? How much?

I think there is good chance your cam timing is off now that you have a new timing belt. Folks reading this please correct this if I'm wrong. I don't know what the engine would do if the cam was off..... besides the notorious and terrifying valve slam!

Perhaps... also the pump is now a notch off in one direction or the other.

My bet is both are off as per the symptoms you describe.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

If you remove the fuel shutoff solenoid in the IP and there's no fuel in it, then the IP has run dry. If it runs dry, prime the IP (procedure can be found elsewhere here) and run a fuel line from the IP to a glass jar with diesel in it. If the engine won't rev after a few minutes of running it from a glass jar ( to make sure fuel in in all injector lines and throughout IP), then it's not the fuel system on the vehicle that's the issue. If it runs fine out of a jar, then something is wrong with the vehicle's fuel system on the car itself.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

82vdub wrote:If you remove the fuel shutoff solenoid in the IP and there's no fuel in it, then the IP has run dry. If it runs dry, prime the IP (procedure can be found elsewhere here) and run a fuel line from the IP to a glass jar with diesel in it. If the engine won't rev after a few minutes of running it from a glass jar ( to make sure fuel in in all injector lines and throughout IP), then it's not the fuel system on the vehicle that's the issue. If it runs fine out of a jar, then something is wrong with the vehicle's fuel system on the car itself.
If you include the injection pump as part of the fuel system, then that info is not correct. The vanes of the vane pump can stick and the governor assembly can be messed up causing a no-rev situation.

Andrew
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Sorry, I was looking at the fuel system and tried to describe the isolation of the fuel system to the vehicle body itself (inlet side of IP to the tank) and the fuel system on the engine (IP to the cylinders).
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
rsxsr

Post by rsxsr »

Did you have the timing belt off? If so, it is possible to index the injection pump pulley 180 degrees out if you only use the pump tool to line the pump up. The symptom of a pump 180 out is similar to what you describe. There is a notch on the back of the pump pulley to let you know that it is clocked correctly. If you did not have the timing belt off, excuse the post.