Thread about head rebuilding?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

HOPPING DIESEL
Glow Plug

Thread about head rebuilding?

Post by HOPPING DIESEL »

I have been looking about a thread for head rebuilding and I have not found anything specific to that. Just bits and pieces. Can someone point me in the right direction?
1991 gasser to 1.6n/a conversion
rsxsr

Post by rsxsr »

Without special tools for disassembly and reassembly, it would be difficult to rebuild a VW water cooled cylinder head. Most local machine shops could perform the valve job for you, which would include a pressure check, straightness check, checking the valve guides most likely replacing them and machining the valve seats, valves and possibly replacing the valves. At least the exhaust valves. A bentley manual would be your best bet for pictures etc. Once you have the head back from the machine shop, it still needs to be installed, cam timing set along with pump timing verified. Again, those take some special tools. Personally, I would also at least consider reringing the engine. The rings can loose their temper over time. If you build up the top end, the increased cylinder pressure, could cause additional blow by on the used rings. Regards
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

The rings don't usually lose their temper and when they do it is usually fairly abrupt due to over-heating. Still, when the head is off, re-ringing isn't a bad idea.

Andrew
HOPPING DIESEL
Glow Plug

Post by HOPPING DIESEL »

Thank you fellows for the input. The engine has been sitting for 15 years. Though I did own it and drive it before it sat and it ran well, I am concerned about it sitting for that long. Also I don't exactly know all the history of the car. So I think re-ringing is probably a good idea and I am concerned that some of the valve springs are probably shot. Was hoping not to have to hire a valve job. I realize there is quite a bit to it, and I have always hired that done on past engines.

I'll try to get some pics posted on my head gasket thread and see what you guys think for visuals on the pistons and go from there.

Thanks again for the help.
1991 gasser to 1.6n/a conversion