Now it starts and runs then dies

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Crankin
Glow Plug

Now it starts and runs then dies

Post by Crankin »

The saga continues:

Followed all the advice about timing the pump...really good stuff!

Still wouldn't start. Pulled the glow plugs ugh... should have checked them first. Replaced all 4

Now it starts right up and revs to 2-3000rpm and dies. Just like the shut off solenoid was shut down.( it's not the solenoid or the supply voltage) I figure the gov. is shutting her off when the fly weights push the sleeve off the spill port. I don't know much about the gov.
Just learning as I go.

82vdub
If you get the crank to camshaft timing spot on, as far as I'm concerned, you can set the IP to whatever you want. I'd align the marks on the IP and try to start it. You can rotate the IP as much as you want in either direction to get it to run or to run it whereever you want. Of course there are areas (too far advanced) that you shouldn't run the engine in, but in essence, you can time the IP to whatever you want. You do not have to use any gauge in setting it up, if you don't want. The IP timing controls how it runs and how well it runs. It does not have anything to do with the timing between the crank and cam, which is very critical on this diesel engine.
kevin g
Diesel Freak

Post by kevin g »

what color is the smoke?
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

sounds a little like fuel starvation. CHeck the pump intake line for bubbles?

Tyr running out of a jar or clean diesel fuel instead of from the filter. Hopefully something simple. Good luck
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
piglet_74
Cetane Booster

Post by piglet_74 »

Where are you located? I think there's a way to add that to your profile that way if your near someone they could swing by and help. I'm in Elkton, MD.
Bubba1
Glow Plug

Post by Bubba1 »

if it only starting with the glowplugs,i would think that would be a timing issue.There is fuel because its starting(white smoke is unburnt fuel)The glow plugs are igniting the fuel,but it wont run after they cool off
86 na to td conversion.10mm pump installe and running a 87 4runner.
Golf/Jetta
Turbo Charger

Post by Golf/Jetta »

doing an engine swap too
mine's doing exactly that.. ended up running idle with a bottle but for some reason even with a bottle i notice a small bubble in the line and it was primed b4 starting... stupid OEM inline hose. it not new or anything.
so a very good prime and check for air leaks is in order maybe a vacumm test to see where this air is comming in or just replace the fuel line is in order for me
'94 City Jetta - 4 Dr - 2.0 Gasser
'97 Jetta - 4 Dr - 1.9 TD
1.6L N/A Diesel Engine with a ACH Tranny

Sold for 200 '92 Jetta (WolfsBurg) - 4Dr - 1.6 Diesel TD 1.9L - Alive
Crankin
Glow Plug

More Saga...she drives!

Post by Crankin »

Boy this a great thread. THANKS

Recall that I have had this entire pump apart.

We put a funnel in the fuel supply line and filled the pump cavity with B100. She cranked up and ran beautifully. After a bit we put the supply line in a clear bottle of B100 and she did fine. So we hooked up the fuel line and drove it.

I figure that the transfer pump wasn't spinning fast enough to keep the vanes pushed out against the vane ring and the vanes were not sealing against the vane ring. (thus no cavity pressure) ...so she started and died.

On another site.
Hagar wrote:
"A short while ago one of you called the Vane pump a "Liftpump".
That got me to think maybe I should explain exactly what it does.

Yes it will lift fuel from tank to pump , but it has fare more important
functions.
The most important function is that of "charge pump" for the injection
distributor. The high pressure piston moves back and forth and
rotates at the same time. At 5000 RPM engine the piston rotates at
2500 RPM. With no charge pressure the fuel would not be able to
fill cylinder considering how small the drillings are and the short time they
match up." " Bosch did a lot of work to reduce cavitation problems."
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Glad you got it started (finally). The key to any future readers is that the IP needs to be full of fuel to get the car running. It could take forever to get the IP to suck fuel from the tank to get the car to start, since this IP does not suck air well at all. The easiest and fastest way to get a new or rebuilt IP, replaced IP etc to run is to rig a jar and start the car from a jar of fuel, with an IP that has had fuel put into the fuel solenoid or out bolt. If your timing is spot on, glow plugs good, fuel solenoid working etc, it should fire in probably 5 seconds of cranking after the injector lines get pressurized and run. Then, once the car is running fine from a jar of fuel, finish installing the fuel line to the fuel filter and run it that way.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count