Rebuild? Oil blowby. Oily dipstick.

Moderator: Fatmobile

nair92
Cetane Booster

Rebuild? Oil blowby. Oily dipstick.

Post by nair92 »

Can't find the answer on the forum, need some help. 82 Vanagon diesel with a whistling noise coming from the oil breather tube. Excessive oil blow by and a very oily dipstick. Idles rough, but drives ok. Rough idle makes black and bluish smoke.

Are my rings and pistons going or could it be something else? Just replace the IP and injectors, and timed with a gauge. I have never rebuilt an engine. I have a 1.6 with low miles, but not the vanagon diesel. Can I switch out the vanagon parts and put the rabbit diesel at that engine angle?
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Re: Rebuild? Oil blowby. Oily dipstick.

Post by CoolAirVw »

nair92 wrote:Can't find the answer on the forum, need some help. 82 Vanagon diesel with a whistling noise coming from the oil breather tube. Excessive oil blow by and a very oily dipstick. Idles rough, but drives ok. Rough idle makes black and bluish smoke.

Are my rings and pistons going or could it be something else? Just replace the IP and injectors, and timed with a gauge. I have never rebuilt an engine. I have a 1.6 with low miles, but not the vanagon diesel. Can I switch out the vanagon parts and put the rabbit diesel at that engine angle?
Maybe try a compression test. Yest rabbit diesel parts will work, using your stuff.
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>