82 Diesel Power Steering?

Moderator: Fatmobile

oldmanfury
Glow Plug

82 Diesel Power Steering?

Post by oldmanfury »

Hello,

Just bought an 82 Diesel Westy and have been working on it a bit for the first time ever (total n00B). It has the "squealing" problem where something squealed really loud at the bottom of each gear as I shifted it, and I used the archive here to verify that it was most likely the alternator belt (which was obviously loose). One of the things I thought it could have been was power-steering squealing, so I went to check the fluid level, and... I cannot find the power steering reservoir.

Where is the power steering reservoir?

I found pictures of the gas-Vanagon engine, and the reservoir is right next to the fuel filter - can't miss it. But in my 82... it 'taint there! So, either it's hidden somewhere bizarre like under the dash next to the master cylinder, or the 82 doesn't have power steering. Which is it?

I am trying to get a Bently manual, so please accept my appologies for posting this question without consulting it first.

Thanks much,
-gerald
itzdshtz
Glow Plug

Post by itzdshtz »

You probably don't have power steering, it came as an option. Look under your van at the steering rack, are there any hydraulic lines coming from it?
1989 Vanagon Westy 2.0
1987 Vanagon Syncro Westy 2.0TD soon
1997 Audi A6
1985 Audi 5000 TD
1955 Chev Pickup Northstar
http://vanagonsyncroproject-herman.blogspot.com/
http://picasaweb.google.com/itzdshtz/Va ... oProject02
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

I didn't think it even came as an option in '82. I've never seen it on any stock diesel vanagon ever.

Andrew
82Caddy
Cetane Booster

Retrofitting an '82 Diesel Westy with power steering. Can I?

Post by 82Caddy »

I picked up a Totally stock Diesel Westy yesterday and sold my '89 today. (always wanted a Diesel) Talk about different machines! Other than the obvious lack of power which I expected, the thing that shocked me most was the lack of power steering. The wife is not going to like this. Can this be solved with stock donor parts?
rsxsr

Post by rsxsr »

You'd have to come up with donor parts from a Vanagon with power steering and then diesel golf or possibly a dasher for the power steering pump brackets, pulleys and pump. I agree, I don't think a diesel vanagon was delivered in the US with power steering. This will be a lot of work and with 50 hp available, could be a bit of a drain. What about putting a little more air in the front tires?
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Increased front tire pressure makes a BIG difference. The only time I really notice the difference is when I'm trying to turn the wheel when stopped. Doing so is bad for the tires anyway and so should be avoided. I wouldn't add power steering before upgrading the engine.

Andrew
82Caddy
Cetane Booster

Post by 82Caddy »

I plan on upgrading the motor once this one goes south. I'll try to air it up more. Much easier than swapping out steering racks and pump brackets! If I do that first it will give me more incentive to swap motors. It might even speed up the process :roll: Thanks for the tech advise.
82Caddy
Cetane Booster

Post by 82Caddy »

I filled the front tires to 40 psi. Makes a difference, that's for sure. Once you get on the highway there are no worries. For a van that sat in a backyard for 4 years it runs great! Cruises along @ 55 indicated. I'm going to change the timing belt before it becomes a regular driver. The fun has just begun. :D