I may be loosing it...

Anything related to biodiesel/biofuels, questions, answers, technical information for all VW Diesel Engines should go here.

Moderator: Fatmobile

piglet_74
Cetane Booster

I may be loosing it...

Post by piglet_74 »

I'm stressing over the intank heater loop of coolant. So then I had an idea and wanted to run it past someone. I was thinking of making a loop out of copper with soldered fittings. However, I was thinking the part that goes down inside the tank could be aluminum gas appliance line around the copper tubing. I would fill the space with glycerin to conduct the heat. This way I have the strength of copper for the coolant without it coming in contact with the wvo. I was going to use steel brake line but I afraid the diameter is too small for a decent flow rate. I don't want to constrict my HIH so I want the intank loop to be free flowing. It's at the end of the line. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Rob.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I've been using 3/8" stainless tubing because I lucked out and got it free.
Do they make 3/8" brake line?
Otherwise my first setup used 3/8" copper tubing and it worked well.
Have you clicked the www at the bottom of my posts?
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
piglet_74
Cetane Booster

Post by piglet_74 »

Ya I've perused your site a few times. Very nice! I actually found a stainless hook up and snake some copper through it. I'll try to post some picks and test results. Thanks, Rob.
piglet_74
Cetane Booster

Post by piglet_74 »

My camera is giving me trouble but I got one good pic. This is the stainless and copper tank heater.

Found out after the fact that the tubing was 3/8 not 1/2 so if it seems like I have low flow I'll test with it out of the loop and see I may need to swap it up.

Rob.