2003 Golf TDI engine light wont go off...

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

bassyb
Glow Plug

2003 Golf TDI engine light wont go off...

Post by bassyb »

2003 Golf TDI. 90000km.
Engine light came on about 1 month ago,heat gauge was swinging up & down.The shop replaced the glow plugs and wiring harness.
Cured for 2 weeks. Light comes on again.
The shop this time replaces thermostat & H2O temp sensor.
Good for 3 days,now damn light always on.
The garage checked out the codes again,but cant find anything.
My readings have told me the engine light is associated with the emmissions
system.
Any of you experts have any ideas??
Doug
JRM
Turbo Charger

Post by JRM »

that is odd, pre 2007 diesels really do not have a emmissions system to speak of, may be carbon in the EGR system
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
85' VW Golf Diesel Project
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Re: 2003 Golf TDI engine light wont go off...

Post by CoolAirVw »

bassyb wrote:The garage checked out the codes again,but cant find anything.
If they are scanning it with a generic scanner then that is why. I would try again with generic but if that dont get you the codes then you'll need to find a shop that is equipped with a VAG-Com or have a dealer scan for codes (dealer is last resort!).
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
rsxsr

Post by rsxsr »

Perhaps if you could post the codes your are getting that would help. I have both a Scan Gauge and the VAG_COM software from Ross Tech. I am happy with both.
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

JRM wrote:that is odd, pre 2007 diesels really do not have a emmissions system to speak of, may be carbon in the EGR system
Isn't that a little contradictory? Pre 07 have no emmisions but the "EGR" may have carbon??

Isn't EGR an emmissions device?

EGR's purpose is to reduce NOX. (NOX is a emissions gas)
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
caveman
Diesel Freak

Post by caveman »

heat gauge swinging around and a shop that doesn't know what to look for. replace the coolant temp sensor,they have a high failure rate ,can give numerous dtc's and if a garage isn't sure ,the dtc seems to tell them the thermstat is bad.
1971 super beetle

1990 t3 transporter 1.9na
vw_commuter
Cetane Booster

Post by vw_commuter »

caveman wrote:heat gauge swinging around and a shop that doesn't know what to look for. replace the coolant temp sensor,they have a high failure rate ,can give numerous dtc's and if a garage isn't sure ,the dtc seems to tell them the thermstat is bad.
I second the temp sensor. I had an '00 VR6 Jetta (I know, it's not a TDI) and the sensor that fed the ECU went bad but the sensor for the gauge was working normal. Symptoms was hard starting and rough running with the temp gauge reading normal. Went to Schucks, since they loan out their code reader for free, and read the stored code. Pointed me right to the sensor (I also had the Bentley for it).
HWgeek
Glow Plug

Post by HWgeek »

What code are you getting when you read through the ODB-II port? Or did changing the temp sensor fix the problem??