Old guy Old Rabbit---both Happy.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

VW Jon wrote:Another one is Andrew Carnegie. While he gave a lot of his money away, when you learn what he did while making it is not often talked about. His whole life seemed to be about making more and more, and only retired when he essentially had to.
Some people are "driven" from an early age to obtain success, riches, be famous, etc, but most people are not "driven" to this extent. Every person living and breathing is greedy regarding a lot of aspects of their lives, and greed is good and is what causes people to do things for themselves. Afteral, most of us all want certain things in our lives and are "greedy" for those achievements. Greed is simply us wanting to have a better life, however, greed can also be bad. When greed becomes bad is when people begin to want more for themselves at the expense of others and are greedy for that desire.

On Hitler, don't forget that before he achieved great power, he had a magnetic personality and people were attracted to him. People all over the world and I'm sure he even attracted the attention of corporations. Everyone seemed to love the man, but then his true side became known after he achieved great power. Anyone remember what the theme was that he campaigned on? I'm sure there were a lot of people that were fooled into believing the man at first, but didn't like who he became and then distanced themselves from him. Hitler is responsible for the VW, for those that didn't know.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I think it was Winston Churchill that said, " Free enterprise is the best think we have until something better comes along". It only works when there is fair competition. A lot of businesses strive for monopolies and hide behind regulations. You don't have to look very far to see some of the companies take advantage of you. The news media is just corporate spin for public consumption. I get dizzies watching it. I'm sure they find the internet to be a threat.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : is hagar upset with guys who use his post as a "Soap-Box" ???? heck no , I like it . IMHO Jack should be happy about it too.--EH?.
If the moderators nix it , well I accept that too.
02 Jan 2009 Duckling and hagar went skylarking --- a fine way to start the new year.

I love SOAP - BOXES and Amerikan Movies. --- like The way we were. with Barbara. was it not in Central Park N Y. ?

Was Hitler good on a BOX ?? He was a grand master IMHO Was Winston good ? he was a super grand master. IMHO.

Was Jesus any good ? ---I never heard him perform , SO ? I have to rely on those who did , and wrote it down.

Lets look at Castro , EH --IMHO he needs a cement Box , wood would rot while he is talking -----but yes he is good.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : another " Jack" EH ? "Magic Jack" if you newbies with Rabbits combine the two , stir in a helping of hagar and some serious elbow grease , sweat , blood and tears ? -----yes we can .

hagar got his Magic Jack this morning SO ----simply P M hagar your phone number (Amerika and Kanada only) and ask anything . REMEMBER ? EH ? there are no stupid questions.

hagar.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Re: Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by 82vdub »

hagar wrote:SAGA : another " Jack" EH ? "Magic Jack"
If you're reading this and you don't know about this product, you should. An amazing product - especially for service people or anyone who spends a lot of time overseas. All phone calls to US and Canada based phone numbers are free from anywhere on the planet (or off the planet), as long as you can get an internet connection (not dialup). Cheap, cheap, cheap.

I have too many to count
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : if you read this ? --- good chance that you are an Automotive and Mechanical kindred spirit of hagars ---EH ?

Further if you are a Michigan , EH Michiganeser , consider yourself "Blessed" or lucky or whatever . IMHO no state in Amerika is better placed for a recovery than MICHIGAN Amerika.

Enter Jennifer Granholm , the Wonderwoman of Michigan , help her to do what she is doing , yes it means Taxes.

Right now she is saying , lets bring the Battery Making back to Amerika , hagar sez go Jenifer go , BUT ? she is better than that read my lips. and read my lips , hagar will offer Jennifer help. to put Michigan on the front line of Diesel -Electric plug in Hybrids so good they will blow Prius off the road.

hagar.
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I sure hope your right. My wife would agree 100% with you. For me its like deja-vu all over again. Back in the 80's people line up for gas. Japan started turn out well built small cars. Detroit couldn't compete in the small car market so they move on to the big stuff and made money. Now China, India, and Korea are ready to jump in to the electric car market. The public has the attention span of a 2 year old just like before and starting to loose appetite for economical cars. The only thing is this time I believe the oil price will ratchet-up again with in 2 years or less. Interest in the electrics will have wane in this time frame and I hope Detroit will hang in there. I don't think car companies really want to build electric cars because it will kill there service departments but I don't think they have much of a choice in the matter.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : surfcam said : I don't think car companies really want to build electric cars because it will kill there service departments but I don't think they have much of a choice in the matter.

surfer , hagar agrees , at least not the BIG 3.

Now what is that mysterious connection --- Jennifer Granholm , Rosa Parks and hagar , made of ?. , I should like to now.
Would one of our Michigan forum members , please P M me with information about Jennifer's terms as Governor ? when is she out ?.

hagar was going to school in Bainbridge GA , and visited Montgomery AL often right at that time of madness , "Jim Crow Law" shame on Amerika EH ? yes I do dare say it.

Danmark has a community where all the cars are 100 % electric ----windmills power is used to charge batteries.
When I offered my advice to G M about the EV-1. they poo-pooed old hagar. SO ? they never new how much experience I had on Hybrid systems , from Diesel -Subs to mine equipment etc. etc etc.---look at G M now , Hat in hand begging --EH ?

Will Jennifer listen to Old hagar ? you bet she will.

Battery power for a car is wasteful of Energy , read my lips very low efficiency. SO ? why did G M fool around with them ? simply to beat downton smog in places like L A Amerika.

Worlds biggest Battery ? last time I checked , that Palin girl in A K had it on charge a Ni Cad (my favorite) BUT we may find far better types soon., with the help of Jennifer and Tax dollars.------Michigan get on Jennifer's Team it will pay. read my Volt Meter.

I doubt any of you can name a Primary or Secondary battery type that hagar has not fooled around with , try me.

Remember a cell is a cell and a battery is two or more cells.

hagar.
slowbirds
Cetane Booster

Hey hagar here is a good read for you

Post by slowbirds »

DAVID LETTERMAN A must read

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No matter what your political convictions are this is an eye opener....

David Letterman, on President Bush. (Surprising)

David Letterman wrote this; it's the David we don't often see....

'As most of you know I am not a President Bush fan, nor have I ever been, but this is not about Bush, it is about us, as Americans, and it seems to hit the mark.'

'The other day I was reading Newsweek magazine and came across some Poll data I found rather hard to believe. It must be true given the source, right?
The Newsweek poll alleges that 67 percent of Americans are unhappy with the direction the country is headed and 69 percent of the country is unhappy with the performance of the President. In essence 2/3 of the citizenry just ain't happy and want a change. So being the knuckle dragger I am, I started thinking, 'What are we so unhappy about?'

A. Is it that we have electricity and running water 24 hours a day, 7 Days a week?

B. Is our unhappiness the result of having air conditioning in the summer and heating in the winter?

C. Could it be that 95.4 percent of these unhappy folks have a job?

D. Maybe it is the ability to walk into a grocery store at any time and see more food in moments than Darfur has seen in the last year?

E. Maybe it is the ability to drive our cars and trucks from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean without having to present identification papers as we move through each state.

F. Or possibly the hundreds of clean and safe motels we would find along the way that can provide temporary shelter?

G. I guess having thousands of restaurants with varying cuisine from around the world is just not good enough either.

H. Or could it be that when we wreck our car, emergency workers show up and provide services to help all and even send a helicopter to take you to the hospital.

I. Perhaps you are one of the 70 percent of Americans who own a home.

J. You may be upset with knowing that in the unfortunate case of a fire, a group of trained firefighters will appear in moments and use top notch equipment to extinguish the flames thus saving you, your family, and your belongings.

K. Or if, while at home watching one of your many flat screen TVs, a burglar or prowler intrudes, an officer equipped with a gun and a bullet-proof vest will come to defend you and your family against attack or loss.

L. This all in the backdrop of a neighborhood free of bombs or militias raping and pillaging the residents. Neighborhoods where 90% of teenagers own cell phones and computers.

M. How about the complete religious, social and political freedoms we enjoy that are the envy of everyone in the world?

Maybe that is what has 67% of you folks unhappy.

Fact is, we are the largest group of ungrateful, spoiled brats the world has ever seen. No wonder the world loves the U.S. , yet has a great disdain for its citizens. They see us for what we are. The most blessed people in the world who do nothing but complain about what we don't have, and what we hate about the country instead of thanking the good Lord we live here.

I know, I know. What about the president who took us into war and has no plan to get us out? The president who has a measly 31 percent approval rating? Is this the same president who guided the nation in the dark days after 9/11? The president that cut taxes to bring an economy out of recession? Could this be the same guy who has been called every name in the book for succeeding in keeping all the spoiled ungrateful brats safe from terrorist attacks? The commander in chief of an all-volunteer army that is out there defending you and me?

Did you hear how bad the President is on the news or talk show? Did this news affect you so much, make you so unhappy you couldn't take a look around for yourself and see all the good things and be glad? Think about it.......are you upset at the President because he actually caused you personal pain OR is it because the 'Media' told you he was failing to kiss your sorry ungrateful behind every day.

Make no mistake about it. The troops in Iraq and Afghanistan have volunteered to serve, and in many cases may have died for your freedom. There is currently no draft in this country. They didn't have to go. They are able to refuse to go and end up with either a ''general'' discharge, an 'other than honorable'' discharge or, worst case scenario, a ''dishonorable' discharge after a few days in
the brig.

So why then the flat-out discontentment in the minds of 69 percent of Americans?

Say what you want, but I blame it on the media. If it bleeds it leads and they specialize in bad news. Everybody will watch a car crash with blood and guts. How many will watch kids selling lemonade at the corner? The media knows this and media outlets are for-profit corporations. They offer what sells, and when criticized, try to defend their actions by 'justifying' them in one way or another. Just ask why they tried to allow a murderer like O.J.. Simpson to write a book about how he didn't kill his wife, but if he did he would have done it
this way......Insane!

Turn off the TV, burn Newsweek, and use the New York Times for the bottom of your bird cage. Then start being grateful for all we have as a country. There is exponentially more good than bad. We are among the most blessed people on Earth and should thank God several times a day, or at least be thankful and appreciative.' 'With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, 'Are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?'

-David Letterman
BlueDog
Turbo Charger

Post by BlueDog »

But, if we check out www.snopes.com and type in David Letterman we will get an explaination that the true author of this piece is Craig R. Smith. He wrote it on 11-20-2006 in response to the American sentiment regarding hurricane Katrina.
And, one other possible reason for so many Americans expressing their dissatisfaction with "the way things are" is because they see America going in an unwanted direction. So many of the greedy wealthy are getting so much more, at an ever increasing rate, at the expense of the poor and the middle class. They have no qualms of selling out their fellow countrymen. A good GNP value masks the fact that only the greedy wealthy are prospering while the average Joe is failing fast. What used to be Ronald Reagan's trickle down affect now trickles to China, etc. The jobs are sent overseas. So I see it too as also told by vwtyp133, Surfcam & 82vdub. My turn to jump down from the soabox. Ed
'89 Jetta 2-dr gasser converted to 1.6L NA
'04 Jetta TDI GLS Platinium
'87 F350 dually 7.3 future project
'79 Mainship Perkins T6.354
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

BlueDog wrote:And, one other possible reason for so many Americans expressing their dissatisfaction with "the way things are" is because they see America going in an unwanted direction. So many of the greedy wealthy are getting so much more, at an ever increasing rate, at the expense of the poor and the middle class. They have no qualms of selling out their fellow countrymen. A good GNP value masks the fact that only the greedy wealthy are prospering while the average Joe is failing fast. What used to be Ronald Reagan's trickle down affect now trickles to China, etc. The jobs are sent overseas. So I see it too as also told by vwtyp133, Surfcam & 82vdub. My turn to jump down from the soabox. Ed
I find it ironic that when someone is asked such a generic wide open question such as "are you happy with the direction the country is going" that anyone takes the answers seriously. I mean if they ask if you're happy with the number of abortions, how the economy is, or other pointed questions, then you may get some answers that actually means something. However, are you happy with the way the country is going means a million different things to a million different people and is, IMO, a stupid meaningless question.

I also find it ironic that everyone today seems to be complaining about the rich man getting richer and the poor man staying poor. Last time I checked, this is America. If you want to get rich, make changes in your life to work towards your goal. If you want to be the guy that finds the cure for breast cancer, work towards your goal. To blame the people that have money for all the problems is looking at the wrong guy. The fact is that the rich are the real movers and shakers of this country. Afterall, when Trump moves his money around, he's moving millions of it and effecting lots of people.

Americans are suckers for $20 a month. Americans will spend their entire income for a payment. We've been so ingrained to accept payments and taxes, that when any governor, senator, president etc says "oh, it's only going to cost just a little bit more" people sign up for it. Back when the tax system was instituted, it was never to effect anyone except the very wealthy. So, I find it ironic that everyone seems to be on the "Oh, just raise the taxes a bit and it'll fix all the problems" attitude. You've been sold a bill of goods, as government doesn't have a revenue problem, they have a spending problem.

Then, you want corporations to pay for universal health care, make them pay more for this or that, just dump all the taxes on the corporations, not the taxpayer. Wake up, corporations don't pay taxes, the consumer does. Then, when the corporation is faced with huge pressures to make a profit (afterall, that's the reason why they exist) against competition and other market forces, they move their production lines to places where their costs are lower. Then, you rail on them for moving jobs overseas, when it's been everyone's fault for falling for the "just a little bit more taxes" scheme you've bought into.

I have yet to find someone that will turn down a pay raise that comes with no additional responsibility. Everyone wants to make more money, so why hate the guy who's made it to where most people want to end up at? You would also be hard pressed to find anyone that's running around pushing the tax the rich theme who doesn't claim every legal tax deduction when filing their own taxes. I mean if you want the rich to pay more, then start paying more yourself. Lead by example. The government will only come after you if you take more deductions then you should, but will never come after you for not taking a tax deduction. If you don't know it, everyone is rich. You can't figure out what I mean here? Rich is another subjective term. $50k a year is like a million dollars to someone, but only like a $1 to someone else.

Taxes are an unfortunate part of today's life. Unfortunately, the governenments contribution (if you can call it that) to the GDP is somewhere around 30%. For those that don't get it, that means that governements spending accounts for 30% of all gross domestic product. All that 30% comes from the work of others, as the governement produces no goods or services and only "takes" from those that do. Why do people hate Exxon/Mobil when they make .06 on a dollar sold when Pepsi makes .22 on the same dollar of sales? Why do people hate Exxon/Mobil when they make .06 profit on a dollar of sales, but the government gets .26 "profit" on that dollar and they did absolutely nothing towards it's exploration, refinement, and delivery to market.

Wake up and start thinking outside the box. Sorry hagar

I have too many to count
viperkepr
Diesel Freak

Post by viperkepr »

Ok---I have been in the Air Nan'l Guard for about 10 years. Before that, I was active duty (air force)for 4 years. I have been in Iraq twice. 12 hours a day 6 days a week, launching jets, fixing them, then sending them out again. Sometimes they come back with bombs, sometimes they don't. But---everytime I send that jet out, I know that I'm part of covering some scared Marine's ass or Army grunt's ass so they can make it home in 1 piece. If you don't agree with this war or whatever, there is 1 thing I can get behind---if there is a 19 year old kid in a world of sh!@, he always has a 911 call he can make that will bring a rain of hell on Hajii if need be. My F-16 will put a world of hurt on them---if they call us in. It doesn't matter who the president of the US is, all they care about is getting out with everything intact. I've had a few Army ground pounders tell me more than once---"thanks for the top cover---we were in a world of sh&^, and you guys took them out."
I makes me completely ill all of the talk of how everything is complete sh&^ in this country. I agree that the lefty swing media has a lot to do with it. A few days ago I barely could watch the inaugruation circus, mainly because the the mainstream media/gloating/beaming/all full of themselves just thinking that is this the best thing since sliced bread. Ok --great we elected a half black dude to the presidency. Fine he is the messiah--so the media claims. Great--if he can turn everything around great----I'll be the first in line to shake his hand and say thank you if everything works out. But there is one thing I know he can do right now---is talk. That is about it. Talk. I can talk too. Let us see if he can convince congress and the senate with his grand plans. Just remember change is just around the corner......
Oh, and that change is going to take "time", and you should open your wallets, because that is going to take $$$ too.
Ok---one more thing---I like David Letterman, but once again using his broadcast to send his political agenda is starting to get old. I guess if I had my own TV broadcast, I might lean to my political views---but good Chri*#@ lay off! I can't wait when the messiah has trouble getting things done in DC, and Dave or some other talking head starts spewing how hard it is getting things done in DC because of all of the lobbyists and $$$ influencing(sp?) all of the political processes. So----it has been day 2 of the new regime---why haven't the troops left Iraq yet? Oh---I forgot they signed that sanction that all US troop will leave by 2011---which the messiah has already taken credit for. We'll see I guess ......I'm tired now... bed time......I'm off my soapbox
81 Rabbit 1.6NA 251k
02 Silverado
06 Kia Sedona
viperkepr
Diesel Freak

Post by viperkepr »

More to add about the lefty media....If you say there is a recession often enough, then there will be people in this country that will believe it. What did Hitler's media dude say? "Tell a lie---tell it often, and will become truth" I'm not claiming this is an exact quote, but it is close. Oh my God---the sky is falling---if the media says it ----it must be true! So I must stop buying stuff(or whatever you do with your $$) and hide my $$$$ in my mattress!!!
I am sorry....Fatmobile and Coke----I got on my soapbox for a minute---I will not do it again---I just felt that I had to get it off off my chest....

I don't write on this forum too often, but I am like a moth to a bug zapper to Hagar's posts, and most of the time I agree with him and relish his knowledge. He knows his stuff about NA diesels, and I love him for it. I just had to say somthing....
81 Rabbit 1.6NA 251k
02 Silverado
06 Kia Sedona
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : Fatmobile wrote : Sorry Hagar, I was thinking you wouldn't want your post turned into a political topic thread,... but since you set me loose:

I noticed a lot of "Sorry hagar" lately ----you were ALL invited to use hagars post as a "soap box" see ? welcome.

hagars crusade for Universal Medical is NOT political it is based on what is needed.

hagar.

PS : please do not label hagar Left ot Right (yes I do VOTE liberal) .
BlueDog
Turbo Charger

stupid meaningless, ouch

Post by BlueDog »

Obviously 82vdub and I are on opposite sides of the fence on this subject. Don't get me wrong though, I agree with most of what 82vdub writes. I once said all the same things. I voted that way in more elections than I care to tell. I still believe many of the principles of the GOP. I'm still in favor of a smaller government that spends less money more wisely. Same with abortion and on and on. I agree that in America can be found the best opportunity for anyone to make their way to success. But that is being an idealist and things are not happening that way. The scope of the problem is huge. Entrepreneurs who are doing exactly this scenario are failing left and right; partly because too many average Americans have no money to buy products. Just like the little guy needs the rich guy to provide jobs to them, the rich guy needs the little guys to have money to buy their products and services. Can't just throw us little guys out and expect the entrepreneur to be successful, as if by magic. Trouble is the so called conservatives are not conservatives. They just say stuff. Then go do the opposite. Took me too long to learn this. There's tons of examples of this, so many that, where to start. The overly generalized statement of the way things are going is just that. Specifically I don't like what has come of our economics. I don't like how the greedy wealthy business owners, big business, have outsourced millions of jobs without any qualms of what they do to fellow Americans. 5000 being laid off at Microsoft announced today. 10s of thousands, hundreds of thousands, millions in recent years. How far must you look up and down your street to see 5000 households that lost their income, and next their house? Try it. Stick your head out the garage door and look both ways. Obviously it is never going to change back. Now that other countries have learned to manufacture there is no turning around. The comment was made that in America anyone can change what they do and become successful. That's true and I agree 100%. Now, if a couple guys get together and find a cure for breast cancer, a couple others team up and cure the common cold, still a few others invent a battery that revolutionizes the electric car to optimize it for mass production, that still leaves about a million working Joes and middleclass that are going to find it tough to snag a job at even a fast food restaurant. It's really gotten bad and people like Bush and McCain as recently as a few months ago claimed the economy of the United States is basically sound and good. The GOP hasn't a clue. It's ironic that while the greedy wealthy big businesses were sending the manufacturing and technical jobs overseas that they failed to communicate to the lending institutions what they were doing; and suddenly people stopped being able to pay their mortgage because their job was outsourced. Banks close up. Nope, while I still believe the principles of conservatism and wish it could be that way, that's just idealism not reality. Big business goes where they want to for the sake of more profits and to heck with the rest of us. New jobs; any given day there are maybe one tenth as many as previously; and there are ten times more people trying to get them. There is much more that could be written about this. Lot's of examples could be offered. What's the point? We're not going to agree. Never will. I've been there and I'm not anymore. What's the solution? Fortunately it has now gotten the attention of some pretty smart people. Nice of you Hagar to let us spout off like this. Thanks, and Go Jennifer!
'89 Jetta 2-dr gasser converted to 1.6L NA
'04 Jetta TDI GLS Platinium
'87 F350 dually 7.3 future project
'79 Mainship Perkins T6.354