noise 82 vanagon diesel - timing?

Moderator: Fatmobile

daves111
Glow Plug

noise 82 vanagon diesel - timing?

Post by daves111 »

I've got a noise that sounds like rattling as I rev it up. I thought maybe some of the valves were loose - they're not. I'm thinking it must be timing - sounds a little "tinny" like when the timing is off ... but I've checked it again and it is ok. I've redone the injector timing with a dial indicator also. It does this as I start to rev it up; then it goes away. Again, a metalic, rattley, noise from the engine. This started after I did some work to repair the crank pulley which had gotten loose and wobbly. The groove on my flywheel is a "v"-shaped notch and I believe that is what I timed it to in the past. Any ideas?
stopping
Diesel Freak

Post by stopping »

Hey daves

Sounds dangerous.

The pulley is what you need to be careful with since you can wreck the engine if that pulley position is out.

The rattle could be anything loose or fallen out of place.... could be a bad motor mount,
itzdshtz
Glow Plug

Post by itzdshtz »

Hi daves, does it make the same sound when you keep the clutch pedal down( tranny in first gear) and rev it up, sometimes when the radial springs in your clutch plate are worn and loose, you can hear them rattle.
If it still rattles, it's something else. Is your timing belt too loose?
Yea, the V notch in your flywheel is the right one.

Herman
1989 Vanagon Westy 2.0
1987 Vanagon Syncro Westy 2.0TD soon
1997 Audi A6
1985 Audi 5000 TD
1955 Chev Pickup Northstar
http://vanagonsyncroproject-herman.blogspot.com/
http://picasaweb.google.com/itzdshtz/Va ... oProject02
daves111
Glow Plug

ok, it's solved

Post by daves111 »

thanks to you that tried to help. I did three things and one or more of them solved it. I think it was a timing thing. I tightened the timing belt because it was a little too loose. I put in some thicker cam disc valve adjusters for those that were on the loose end of tolerance. and finally I readjusted the timing of the fuel injector pump with a dial indicator again - it may have been off. It sounds good, now, and runs well. thanks again, to those who took the time to answer. Dave
Golf/Jetta
Turbo Charger

Post by Golf/Jetta »

mine did the exact same thing but it was due to the timing belt coming loose (tensioner?)
one cold day -15 i started her up and she jump a tooth on the cam started making this rattling sound in one of the cylinders. i was getting poor take-offs / power but once the turbo kicked in she took off like there was no tomorrow. after re-timing it she sounds better then ever and takes off better then ever.. i wrote a tread about here called "pussy diesel". now after 2-3 month i found my self in the same position but lacking the pussy side. did my belt actualy streach or did the tentioner finaly give out.. this tensioner is different then the conventional tenssioners i'm use to. it almost like its spring loaded or sometime.. i tryed playing with it to see if its springy but couldn't make it works.. so i thought its just another tenssioner. time to go buy a tenssioner and belt before i'm really lucked out with a 235KG paper weight
'94 City Jetta - 4 Dr - 2.0 Gasser
'97 Jetta - 4 Dr - 1.9 TD
1.6L N/A Diesel Engine with a ACH Tranny

Sold for 200 '92 Jetta (WolfsBurg) - 4Dr - 1.6 Diesel TD 1.9L - Alive
daves111
Glow Plug

Post by daves111 »

Well, I got it fixed - that was some time ago. I think it did turn out to be timing after all. Dave