Diesel Fuel Lift pump

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

wild3bill
Cetane Booster

Diesel Fuel Lift pump

Post by wild3bill »

Is the injection pump the only fuel pump in a TDi ? A Haynes manual says so. I thought there was a lift pump in the tank to push Diesel through the filter. Book says TDi injection pump sucks Diesel from the tank through the filter just like my old Rabbit !
Wild3Bill
Lower Hudson Valley NY
2011 BMW 335d turbo Diesel
2003 Golf GLS TDi in the shop
1998 TDi Bug in the back yard
81 Rabbit Pickup " " "
97 ChevyK2500 . 6.5TD 4
John Deere 455
Koubota BX24 Diesel lawn mower w/back hoe & loader
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

It depends on the year TDI you have. 1994-2003 have just the rotary pump (I think), and the 2004-2006 TDI with the PD motor has a lift pump, but no rotary pump. Each injector acts as it's own pump (both pressurizing the fuel, and injecting it).
caveman
Diesel Freak

Post by caveman »

After much disagreements and online screaming [you know-WITH CAPS ON] i realized the lift pump doesn't even work all the time. It is only there to circulate fuel when it gets too hot, it then circulates it through the cooler. This was because i was converting a PD to veg oil, and was trying to figure out if it needed an extra lift pump for the VO. In the end i just installed a lift pump with a switch so that the person could switch it on when there was a lack of power.
1971 super beetle

1990 t3 transporter 1.9na