windshield washer pump

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Kanzan
Diesel Freak

windshield washer pump

Post by Kanzan »

Is the windshield washer pump on my 81 Caddy replaceable, or must I replace the tank and pump? Got my windshield washer working, only to find the pump is leaking badly. Looks like it is leaking between the rivited parts. Can't see a way to remove the pump from the tank. See lots of pump forsale, but none look like mine. Thanks, Kanzan
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

I haven't taken one apart in a long time but I vaguely recall that the nut that holds the pump on is inside the tank and might be reachable with a long screwdriver. I could be comepletely wrong on this but it's worth taking a look. I know one of the tankns I replaced the pump on was like this but I can't remember if it was on one of my VWs or one of the other cars.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
81rabbitdiesel
Glow Plug

Post by 81rabbitdiesel »

If you haven't before you should check out the vwcaddy cheap tricks page

http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/CheapTri ... sherRepair

Lots of cool tips and washer repair is one of them..I believe he says that the only way you can get them new is with the tank :(
wmasscaddy
Cetane Booster

Post by wmasscaddy »

I had the same problem on my caddy. Lots of places sold the pump, but I couldn't find a caddy reservoir at all. (WHy is the caddy tank different?) My original pump was about a finger in diameter where it went into the tank, but the replacement was the size of a pencil. The new pump also mounted 90 degrees off the original. The hardware store had rubber bits to adapt to the finger sized hole- maybe a rubber stopper and a very short piece of tubing? It was a friction fit, no nut. It must have come out without too much effort or the tank would've shattered.
My tank was cracked and holey all over- I smeared RTV on the worst areas outside and poured tool handle dip inside, rolling it all around. worked great. I also snipped the edge of the lid to make it easier on and off.
82 pickup 1.6 n/a
350,000 + miles lost to broken odo
11mm block, 12mm head
Kanzan
Diesel Freak

Post by Kanzan »

My washer tank is in reasonable shape. Couldn't see anyway to remove the old pump without destroying the tank. Cut the two rivits that hold the pump together. The impeller is cracked, the seals are hard, and the motor shaft is rusted. No way to save it. Found an after market pump that looks very similar. Think I will order it and see if I can take it apart and connect it to the original pump base. Would put a link on here to the new pump, so you can see it, but don't want to upset anyone. Thanks for your help. Kanzan
[img][img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b87/h4198/Pump.jpg[/img][/img]
wmasscaddy
Cetane Booster

Post by wmasscaddy »

Is that black washer-looking thing holding the pump to the tank? Can it be cut apart to get the pump out? You should be able to twist the pump. Lube around that stuck grommet or whatever it is and if you can't pull it out, cut it out. I'd hesitate to reassemble a pump in place with possibly non-identical parts.
82 pickup 1.6 n/a
350,000 + miles lost to broken odo
11mm block, 12mm head
Kanzan
Diesel Freak

Post by Kanzan »

went looking for an after market windshield washer pump for my 81 Caddy today. Found one that looked very similar. Was going to cut it apart and use the parts. It looked so close I decided to remove the old parts fom my washer tank. Had to use a long flat blade screw driver to break the brass toothed washer that was holding the old pump in the tank. The new pump fit perfectly. Held in by a tight fitting rubber washer. Even the electric hookup is the same. The whole set up looks almost original. Filled it with fluid, works perfectly, so far no leaks. PM me if you want info on the pump. Kanzan
[/img]Image
maxny
Glow Plug

Post by maxny »

I'm having the same problem finding a washer pump. I haven't seen the one you used on any of the VW parts sites I have looked at. Could you post where you found the pump? Thanks
taygan
Glow Plug

81 VW diesel pickup windshield washer pump replacement.

Post by taygan »

maxny wrote:I'm having the same problem finding a washer pump. I haven't seen the one you used on any of the VW parts sites I have looked at. Could you post where you found the pump? Thanks
It's from a 99 Jeep Wrangler (and similar vehicles). I used ANCO 67-23. Cheap. $15 at my local FLAPS. Fits perfectly, and has a little ridge so you don't need the retaining ring inside the tank.
1981 1.6NA Pickup
1994 1.6TD FrankenJetta
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

How's the power? My washer pump works, but it's a gutless wonder. For $15, it's worth replacing for a more-powerful unit.
taygan
Glow Plug

81 VW diesel pickup windshield washer pump replacement.

Post by taygan »

Quantum TD wrote:How's the power? My washer pump works, but it's a gutless wonder. For $15, it's worth replacing for a more-powerful unit.
Power is great! Just don't crack the reservoir wiggling the old one out. It's got a pressed-on retaining ring. Mine came out with equal prying all around.
1981 1.6NA Pickup
1994 1.6TD FrankenJetta
maxny
Glow Plug

Post by maxny »

Thanks taygan another member sent me a pm with a part number and I was able to pick up a pump at advance auto. Here's what I bought package says- Washer Pump No.17438 Made by ACi - It works good and comes with a new gasket that fits the hole perfect. Plugs right into the original connector.
82 Rabbit diesel 2 door hatchback
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

I can't believe no one figured this out years ago. What with all the American-style car parts used on the 1981-1984 cars, we should have figured as much.

Other parts off American cars that work:

Ford Truck light bulb sockets for the corner lights, and perhaps tail lights.

Ford headlight switches work too I think.

Lots of engine interchange parts with Chrysler (but I think that went German -to-American).
maxny
Glow Plug

Post by maxny »

I used The inner socket from an 89 Blazer dome light to repair my Rabbit dome light. It was exactly the same.
82 Rabbit diesel 2 door hatchback