Having trouble removing plastic plug in bellhousing

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

81rabbitdiesel
Glow Plug

Having trouble removing plastic plug in bellhousing

Post by 81rabbitdiesel »

Hey all! I've been lurking for several months in this forum but haven't posted much. I will have to say there are some very knowledgable people on here and I have learned a LOT and still am learning more about these little jewels every day! Car is 1984 Rabbit 1.6 NA got is running after sitting for 10 or so years..Smokes white smoke..heavy at startup and still does quite a bit after warmup.. Glowplugs are good..fuel is good..From reading up on the issue..could be injectors, could be timing off a tooth, could be pump timing off..

So I'm going to change the timing belt first and want to verify everything is in time and cannot for the life of me get the top inspection plug in the bellhousing out! The 81 Rabbit I have came out easily but this one..not so much! I tried getting on it with some channel lock pliers and couldn't budge it..so I decided to go the other way (clockwise) and try to break it loose and it started to turn..well I went to back it around the other way (counterclockwise) and couldn't get it to move..I verified with the 81' that it's not a left handed thread..

I did read that a 1 1/16 hex head bold can be used to get it out but I can't find one anywhere so the best I could do was take a 3/4" bolt and used the grinder on the head and got it to fit in my other car's plug so...I can't try it out til tomorrow but has anyone else had trouble getting this thing out? Any tricks? Possible that it's already stripped? Big problems if I break it? Sorry for the lengthy post and TIA!

Eric
Last edited by 81rabbitdiesel on Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

It's probably been in there so long without removal that the aluminum has corroded/deteriorated slightly causing an extra tight bond. Even if it's stripped, it may be a bugger to get out, but the plastic plug should strip out, not the trans housing. If the channel locks didn't work (which you said they didn't), you can try spraying some PB Blaster on it and let it sit for a couple days. Or, try grinding a notch into the side of it and use a sharp ended device (like a screwdriver) and hammer and slowly work the plug around. This method is like the action from a impact wrench, which puts lots of force in a quick manor, which tends to make stuck items move. When applying a constantly increasing force (like channel locks) when using a standard wrench, there is a lot more static friction that isn't necessarily overcome with a wrench. That's also one reason why an impact wrench won't break a bolt head off, but a manual wrench will.

Anyways, with the timing belt, make sure you read the forums to learn what to do, buy a Bentley manual at a minimum, and absolutely make sure you rotate the engine by hand a couple revolutions first before using the key. This is a very important step to not skip.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
81rabbitdiesel
Glow Plug

Post by 81rabbitdiesel »

I did soak the little bugger with PB blaster before I left the shop today so hope that helps :) One of the first things I bought (after starting to read this forum) was a Bentley and it has helped with a lot of stuff along the way! Yeah after I'd got the car the first thing I had done was turned the motor over few times by hand because I'd heard it was an interference engine..

From stuff I've picked up along the way I'm saying the PO didn't consult this forum...wait the WWW was barely around lol..I found an old nail for a cotter pin when doing the rear brakes..homemade springs for the rear brake adjusters.. .no drive end starter bushing in the trans..gugh..
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

I don't suppose the PO left an old injector lying around?? The body makes a perfect wrench for removing the tranny plug. :wink:
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I have an injector body with a socket welded to it,..
and there still was a plastic plug I couldn't get out, just dug into the plastic.
Had to go back to the old channel locks,.. but even those didn't work for you. :roll:
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Josh
Turbo Charger

brainstorming

Post by Josh »

If all else fails, you could try to cut the plug with a dremel and a cutting wheel, and then rip it out piece by piece. But I'd be sure the screwdriver method wasn't working first, and try a bit of heat carefully as well. I don't think you'll have any big problems if you break it. Before you do, tho, you may clean the area well with a wire brush, so if need be you can cover the hole with duct tape and have it adhere well to the surface!
-'79 rabbit, getting parted out
-'82 quantum wagon, gutting.
-'84 rehabbed quantum TD sedan, southern rustless beauty for sale
-'82 cherry Westy from AZ
-more all the time; are they breeding?
coke

Post by coke »

Sometimes crud and crap gets on the threads in the bellhousing holding that in. I have successfully removed them before my pounding a screw driver with a BIG hammer into the side of the plug. I've found it provides enough movement to free it up some. Also used vice grips one time.
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

That's a pipe fitter trick. Hit it from the top as well. When your hitting it from the side try going from different angles. Especially 90% from the first hit.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
81rabbitdiesel
Glow Plug

Post by 81rabbitdiesel »

UPDATE: Well the plug got the best of me I'll have to say! Tried the upside down ginormous (1 1/16) hex head..double nutted and no good..tried the making a notch and hitting it with a flat screwdriver...no good..Tried a chisel and hammer...EUREKA! :D I got all of the old plug out and it almost looks like someone drove the SOB in!

Well..after going lining up my timing marks on the flywheel and getting the cam locked in low and behold I find that the IP sprocket is 2 teeth off! Lined up the timing on the IP, got the belt on and used the twisting the belt with my fingers method of tensioning it..turned the motor over by hand a few times...turns easily..get in and fire her up..running sweet and it was hard to tell in the dark but it appears the smoke has all but went away! :lol: I'm thrilled to say the least.. Backed out my max fuel screw and reset my idle and she starts up and stays running every time now..I don't know how it was even running before!
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Congrats on getting it solved and running better. Feels great when you get a car running again that's been sitting for a while. At least it is for me :D
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
jasonsansfleece
Cetane Booster

Post by jasonsansfleece »

Glad you got it out. I had the same issue with an 85 Golf. Used a hacksaw blade through the hole in the middle, to cut from the centre out to the threads, stopping when I touched the aluminium. Squeeze the head of the plug with the channel locks and it will break free and unscrew easily. The cut has no adverse effect and can be screwed back in,
Guy
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Glad it's running well.
Later tranys had a lovely, green plastic plug.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
vixentd
Cetane Booster

plastic plug

Post by vixentd »

VW beatle old style lug nut ( For the wheels in the tool kit) socket fits perfectly in the plastic hole.
If it doesn't rattle it isnt a diesel! 35mpg for a motorhome! 106 mph! www.vixenrv.org