water pump bad @30K, must remove timeing belt idler?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

JRM
Turbo Charger

water pump bad @30K, must remove timeing belt idler?

Post by JRM »

Today I set out to throw a new water pump in my golf as the old one gave up at 30k and I budgeted around 2 hours for this, am I correct that I must remove the timeing belt idler? If so any quick tips to make this go faster?
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
85' VW Golf Diesel Project
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG
kevin g
Diesel Freak

Post by kevin g »

Is this the 85 golf? 1.6l? If so, you shouldn't have to remove the timing belt idler. But one of the bolts on the water pump is tricky to get at but it can be done. Or are you talking about a serpentine belt? Because then im pretty sure you would have to release the tension on the belt to access the pump bolts
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

If it's the old 1.6 version, if you want to change just the water pump, I believ the intermediate shaft pully must come off. The other method is to remove the pump and housing as one piece, then change the pump and reinstall. If you've got AC and even if you don't, getting at those two bolts just under the IP will give your mind a good whirl at coming up with a solution. Also, if you didn't use stainless steel or other steel type bolts when the pump was installed to the housing last time, if they're the cheap aluminum bolts, they will likely shear the heads off when trying to get them undone. This almost necessitates the removal of the housing to remove the remaining studs, or to install a new housing. Something to know before you start on the job.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
coke

Post by coke »

I did the water pump on the older 1.6's. Its easier to remove the timing belt and intermediate shaft pulley and then reset the timing when your done.
JRM
Turbo Charger

Post by JRM »

Yes, its on my 85' 1.6 that im working on and pulling the intermediate shaft pully is what I was affraid of, so much for my 2 hours i had in mind. Luckly when I put the new pump in back in 2004 i used alot of anti sieze on the bolts :)
so at 30k should i also replace the timeing belt or is it rated 120k like my civic? Its a OEM belt from jack
thanks, Joe
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
85' VW Golf Diesel Project
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG
coke

Post by coke »

Well, if it has 30k on it, you might as well replace it now.

Peace of mind.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

coke wrote:Well, if it has 30k on it, you might as well replace it now.

Peace of mind.
X2. Might as well since you can take the same labor to install one that's 50% used up, or put one on that's good for another 60k. Don't forget to replace the tensioner as well.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
VW Jon
Turbo Charger

Post by VW Jon »

If you remove the entire waterpump with housing there is absolutely no need to remove the timing belt or the intermediate shaft pulley. Why make extra work for yourself?