Biodiesel Compatable Fuel lines

Anything related to biodiesel/biofuels, questions, answers, technical information for all VW Diesel Engines should go here.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Krank
Diesel Freak

Biodiesel Compatable Fuel lines

Post by Krank »

I think I've finally located an off-the-shelf fuel line that doesn't degrade with biodiesel.
I spoke with Jack about 14 months ago, asking what he recommended, and he (incorrectly it turns out) stated that all the new lines will handle it, so he doesn't carry lines just for it. Using that advice, I replaced all mine with stock stuff from NAPA.
Less than a year later, I had a gooey mess of nasty hoses that were just about to give out when I noticed.
After researching some more, I found that Goodyear has a line of fuel injection hoses that are all rated to handle biodiesel. I tried to find them in my local market, but wasn't able to. I sent an email to Goodyear asking them where I could find some, and they sent me a phone number to call that department.
When I contacted that department, they verified that yes, theirs would handle BD, and told me that in my market, Autozone and Carquest sold that brand. I went to CQ, but they told me that Goodyear must be mistaken... they do not.
When I went to Autozone they had it. YES!
It's not cheap (around $4.50 / foot), but you don't need much and you could tell just by looking at it that it's going to work! Be sure to ask for the FUEL INJECTOR LINES. The normal Goodyear won't work, and aren't the same.
These are different in that there's an inner lining of some sort of hard blue plastic. The lining was about 1/8" wall thickness. Surrounding the lining was a normal looking fuel hose, complete with the braid running through it for strength. It was also branded Goodyear all over the outside.
I used 5/16" for the engine compartment going from the metal lines to the filter and the 'out' side of the fuel pump. You really have to work to get it to fit over the metal firewall line going to the filter, but with perserverance and a few choice words it works. This is also the size of one of the two lines coming from under the tank. The other hose under the tank I used 3/8", but I'd already replaced it with a polyurethane hose I'd gotten from Fluid connector Products. It was a bit dodgy, but good hose clamps can work miracles.
I used polyurethane tubing for the injectors as well. It takes 1/8". If you use standard fuel line, 1/8" can be pretty tight. With the polyurethane, it's a pretty flexible line so it stretches easily. I would have used it instead of the Goodyear, but I couldn't find it in 5/16".
Hope this information helps someone! I'm not planning on replacing any lines anymore!
'81 Rabbit N/A
'82 Audi 4000 Diesel (a vw in luxery clothing!)
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I've been able to work the 1/4" urethane over the 5/16 metal lines.
Slick it up first.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
woodrat
Diesel Freak

Post by woodrat »

what about the marine grade fuel lines for boats?
'92 Dodge W250 Cummins Turbo Diesel
'90 Subaru Legacy AWD wagon
'89 Jetta diesel
'88 Jetta Carat gasser
http://blog.redalderranch.com
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I guess I previously posted that Goodyear had a biodiesel line of hose back in 2006. It does bare repeating. I was wondering if you were using (Flexwing VersaFuel) product or does the stuff your using go by another name.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
beemer
Glow Plug

What kind of line is it?

Post by beemer »

Krank
Diesel Freak

Post by Krank »

The stuff I'm using is in the fuel injector line. I have no idea what associated numbers go with it... I just walked up to the car parts dealer in my area and specified that it had to be Goodyear, it had to be for fuel injection, and it needed to be XX size. When he handed it over, I noticed it was different than any other fuel hose I'd ever seen, in that it had a blue plastic inner sleeve with a standard looking braided rubber hose exterior. I could just tell right away that THIS would work (and it has!).

Does anyone have a lasting solution for the injector return lines? I thought my Urethane hoses were doing the trick, but they appear to have finally started leaking. Is there a better solution? I wasn't able to get the fuel injector lines for something that small.
'81 Rabbit N/A
HOPPING DIESEL
Glow Plug

Post by HOPPING DIESEL »

It might not be the cheapest solution, but I would check out Viton. I think it should be available in that size and is definitely biodiesel compatible. McMaster Carr has Viton as well as other suppliers.
1991 gasser to 1.6n/a conversion
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I've had good luck with air brake line for between the injectors.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
robmee
Cetane Booster

Post by robmee »

question about the "metal" lines. I am in the middle of changing out my lines with the goodyear brand and when I was connecting them to the "metal" lines I noticed that mine where flexible and seemed to be plastic. I intend to run BD100 eventually and I am wondering if these will turn into goo?

Thanks,
Rob
=============
85' Golf n/a - my little head ache
Krank
Diesel Freak

Post by Krank »

I've heard that the later models had some sort of plastic fuel lines running from the tank, but I'm not aware of the compatibility. I've also heard that the chassis was the same between the A1 and the A2, so perhaps you can retrofit the A1 stuff into the A2 and just be done with it.
'81 Rabbit N/A
Josh
Turbo Charger

update: Goodyear no longer rates hosing for biodiesel

Post by Josh »

From what I've read on other biodiesel forums, Goodyear took back their BD ratings from their hoses, and a few folks had then turn to goo.

For affordable BD 100% tubing, the way to go is ether based polyurethane tubing such as "superthane" for the 5/16 and 3/8 lines, and 1/4 nylon air brake hosing for the injector lines. These work perfectly for any percentage of biodiesel, regular diesel, or SVO.

I know of absolutely no valid reason to spend the big bucks on Viton.
-'79 rabbit, getting parted out
-'82 quantum wagon, gutting.
-'84 rehabbed quantum TD sedan, southern rustless beauty for sale
-'82 cherry Westy from AZ
-more all the time; are they breeding?