Success in sleeving '82 drive shaft flanges!

Moderator: Fatmobile

Josh
Turbo Charger

Success in sleeving '82 drive shaft flanges!

Post by Josh »

Worn drive shaft flanges can lead to tranny troubles from leaking fluid that isn't noticed.

I fixed my worn flanges with "cr 99830", a former chicago rawhide part, now SKF. The 99830 part is the GOLD higher durability and thus a bit more expensive version. 99177 is the cheaper identically sized part. An internet search for the part will find you various prices; Jack doesn't carry this item, neither do Long Enterprises or other VW specialized tranny businesses online.

The 99830 flanges are perfectly sized, and you can drive them fully on and leave the tear-away section in place. I used Loctite 660 as directed to fill the gap, seal the repair, and hold it all together.

New shafts are too expensive, and the GOLD sleeve's wear characteristics should provide for a repair that is better than new.
-'79 rabbit, getting parted out
-'82 quantum wagon, gutting.
-'84 rehabbed quantum TD sedan, southern rustless beauty for sale
-'82 cherry Westy from AZ
-more all the time; are they breeding?
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

Awesome! Thanks for posting that.
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>