More Power from a 1.6TD (pics of homemade camper inside!!)

Upgrades to the 1.5, 1.6 and 1.9 engines that make them go farther or faster
timmayjimmay
Glow Plug

More Power from a 1.6TD (pics of homemade camper inside!!)

Post by timmayjimmay »

So I've been on this forum on and off for several years and I am a diesel owner for almost a year now. I FINALLY got done reading Hagar's 120+ age post and I am now running paraffin in my diesel (working good so far.). I also build things in my spare time and I have just completed a 2000 lb. camper trailer (see photos). Well, she's got a shower, stove, air conditioning, 6 batteries, a 2000 watt sine inverter, a water heater, memory foam mattress, the works! My Quantum pulls it just fine (it has electric brakes so stopping is nice!). Problem is when I take it on the highway. Hard to maintain 60 in 4th gear (I have a Fox 4-speed in it. Final drive is slightly numerically lower but RPM difference is almost not noticable). I noticed I'm not getting boost until over 3000rpm. The engine is only 100,000 miles old with zero gap rings and new pistons. Is there a way to get more power out of that little mill? I've seen some people talking about different turbos but will that really make a difference? I also have an intercooler on it BTW. Thank for your help in advance!!
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

That's the colour of the Quantum I've just scrapped!

Standard turbo should come on by 1500rpm. By 2000rpm you should be able to get 8 or 9 psi. Either something is wrong, or you have fuelling turned right down
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
timmayjimmay
Glow Plug

Post by timmayjimmay »

Could the wastegate be the culprit? The blow-off valve hasn't seen action in what looks like years! I put a nitrile glove over the outlet of the compressor and revved her up and she didn't start to expand the glove until over 3000rpm. Turbo is pretty new and the turbine wheel spins easy. I'll start jacking with the fuel screw and see where that gets me. I'm getting 35-37 mpg right now with no smoke.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Welcome to the forum and nice looking VW and trailer. I don't know much about turbo questions, but I've read on this forum that without a load on the motor, the turbo will not develop much boost. If you're trying to get it to build boost in the driveway, that may not happen. Are you reading a gauge to determine when boost is starting, or was this 3000RPM your test in the driveway?
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
timmayjimmay
Glow Plug

Post by timmayjimmay »

Keen observation. I do have a boost gauge on the way (ebay style). This was a driveway test. I just went out and turned the max fuel screw in a little so I'll go on a test drive and check it out. When I receive the boost gauge I'll have solid numbers to give. Off I go!
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I'm a bit of an RV nut. Me the wife just go looking a RV's on the some of the bigger lots just for fun. I would be real interested in a picture of the lay out on the inside if you find time.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
timmayjimmay
Glow Plug

Post by timmayjimmay »

Got a few pics on my website, www.ihavecrabs.com I'm almost completely done with it, should be camping this weekend. Next job is 420watt solar on the roof to charge the 462Ah of battery goodness.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

What are you running for exhaust?
The stock turbo outpipe is pretty restrictive.
Opening that up should help provide an earlier boost.

Looks like a good candidate for our first post in the performance upgrade fora,..
So I'm moving it over there.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
timmayjimmay
Glow Plug

Post by timmayjimmay »

Running stock exhaust. I had the subframe out a little while back and noticed the exhaust pipe was ovaled coming out of the turbo. She gets some good wind out the tailpipe though. I can fab up a new exhaust system, that'll be my next project after the trailer is done.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

3,000 rpms sounds normal to me, irritatingly normal for the k24 or T3. Might be a partly leaky wastegate, but even fully sealing it's not going to get much better than that. A k14 will give the same boost at least 1,000 rpms sooner and almost a bolt-on. A VNT will give boost right off idle but a vane control system is necessary. Like Fatmobile said, a free-flow exhaust would help as well.

Andrew
Op-Ivy
Turbo Charger

Post by Op-Ivy »

Awesome camper! Very very nicely done!

Once you get a boost gauge you can start tuning the pump a bit more. Also an EGT gauge might be a good idea too if you are pulling a camper.
1990 TD Jetta - 490,000Km
KCCats
Cetane Booster

Post by KCCats »

I just picked up a 95 Golf tht was a gasser, and it has been converted to a 93 Jetta Eco! It has over 200K on motor! I've done a bunch of performance work on my Isusu truck over the years!
I know I want to rebuild the motor, but what all can be done performance wise?
Larger or more holes in injectors? Different ramp in pump? Different timmer weights? Different pistons? O Ring the block? Porting the head?
Thanks in advance!
Hey what kinda milage should I get with the Golf?
MPalm
Turbo Charger

Post by MPalm »

timmayjimmay wrote:Keen observation. I do have a boost gauge on the way (ebay style). This was a driveway test. I just went out and turned the max fuel screw in a little so I'll go on a test drive and check it out. When I receive the boost gauge I'll have solid numbers to give. Off I go!
It's normal to hardly see any boost at all if you just rev the engine in neutral without load. You will see boost sooner when you're on the road.
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km
Josh
Turbo Charger

Post by Josh »

Your mileage numbers are extremely low for a quantum td wagon in my experience. If you haven't got lots of black smoke billowing out (over-fueling), I'd say you should check out compression/leakdown. That is, when not towing.

My wagon always gets over 45 mpg, even when driving like a madman.

How heavy is your trailer?
-'79 rabbit, getting parted out
-'82 quantum wagon, gutting.
-'84 rehabbed quantum TD sedan, southern rustless beauty for sale
-'82 cherry Westy from AZ
-more all the time; are they breeding?
FineFrank
Turbo Charger

Camper....

Post by FineFrank »

Hey- let's see some pics of the inside of the camper!