1.5 pistons

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

I don't think that anyone has suggested that you need to spin the 1.5 higher but rather that it's an upside that you can.

Andrew
VW Jon
Turbo Charger

Post by VW Jon »

I can't argue with the mileage. My 1.5 liter gets 52 mpg, and is a struggle to get it to dip below 50 with a lot of in-town driving. My gas Rabbit gets a max of 37 mpg (usually is around 35) but if you get extended in town use with the gasser, the mileage makes a more significant drop.
Swampy
Glow Plug

Post by Swampy »

You guys are making want to build a 1.5 instead of the 1.6! Doesnt piston speed and reciprocating mass somewhat dictate ability to rev?
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Swampy wrote:Doesnt piston speed and reciprocating mass somewhat dictate ability to rev?
Yes. A shorter stroke yields less reciprocating mass (not static mass) and it's ability to change rotation speeds quicker is a key benefit.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Josh
Turbo Charger

Post by Josh »

The only thing that may be true but not obvious is that apparently the stroke of the 1.5 vs 1.6 is a factor of the pistons and not the rods?

Fatmobile, I've thought the same basic thing about a 1.5, but didn't consider a VNT. But it's been done, so why not? As long as we're dreaming, might as well provide for on the fly fueling increases, no?
-'79 rabbit, getting parted out
-'82 quantum wagon, gutting.
-'84 rehabbed quantum TD sedan, southern rustless beauty for sale
-'82 cherry Westy from AZ
-more all the time; are they breeding?
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Stroke is always determined by the offset of the center line of the rod journals from the center line of the crank. The rods of the 1.5 are longer and the piston pin to crown distance is different from the 1.6 to compensate for the shorter stroke and still maintain the same main bearing and top of block locations.

Andrew
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

You guys are making want to build a 1.5
Where are you at?
I have a spare 1.5 crank and rods,... don't make me scrap them.

Put it all in a 1.6, 12mm block.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Josh
Turbo Charger

Post by Josh »

Ok, so a 12 mm 1.6TD block properly rebuilt using 1.6TD parts save for sporting 1.5 pistons, crank, and rods would give you a motor with shorter piston throw, smaller displacement, and lower rotating mass. This could provide the basis for the most efficient build combo for these engines; the advantages of the 1.5's displacement and rotating mass, with the benefits of a TD's oil squirters and the turbo itself.

This is right, right? Because I've got a 1.6TD jetta setup waiting for a rebuild, and may have a sweet shell to pop it in soon... I so want to announce it, but I'm being coy until it's certain.

Andrew, progressing on the Suzuki swap-in?

-Josh
-'79 rabbit, getting parted out
-'82 quantum wagon, gutting.
-'84 rehabbed quantum TD sedan, southern rustless beauty for sale
-'82 cherry Westy from AZ
-more all the time; are they breeding?
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

You'd need to notch the pistons to clear the piston coolers and balance them afterward.

I've fixed the Suzuki up a fair amount, but don't plan on starting on that conversion for some time to come. Plenty of other projects to do first.

Andrew