ARP studs in 1.9 van

Moderator: Fatmobile

stopping
Diesel Freak

ARP studs in 1.9 van

Post by stopping »

I just got off the phone with a ARP stud supplier who wants $174.00CN for the set! Eeeeik! I guess I will order on-line.

Does anybody know if stud might be a problem in terms of installing and pulling the head when it is on it's angled position in the Vanagon? I don't think it will work... (gut feeling) Right now it is easy to pull the head with all the bolts removed.

I am building a new engine with over-sized new pistons and was thinking head studs would be good but not if it is will mean removing the engine for a headgasket job.
Luckypabst
Glow Plug

Post by Luckypabst »

I didn't have a problem even with the manifolds in place on my 1.6. I can't remember exactly how I did it though - I might have only had two studs in to keep things aligned and installed the rest afterward. Either way the studs have a female hex in the end so you can R&R them with the head in place.

Chris
'82 TD Westy
'81 NA Caddy
stopping
Diesel Freak

Post by stopping »

That is exactly the information I needed. Thankyou.

Being able to install and remove them as needed with the hex tool gives me reassurance. Now I just have to find them at decent price.

I have looked through the forums for a part number or dimension but I have not seen anything conclusive for AAZ except to say that they are 100mm long as opposed to 94mm for the 1.6. Is this correct and can someone point me toward a thread with the actual part number for AAZ?
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Post this over on the GTD forum and I'm sure you'll get your answer. My understanding is that the studs would be the same for the 1.6 as they are for the 1.9. The head is the same height and the threads are the same. I don't have any 1.9's tho as they're hen's teeth in these parts.

Andrew
stopping
Diesel Freak

Post by stopping »

I heard the AAZ block is 4mm taller. Can anyone varify? And if for some weird reason 4mm means you can't use those that are used on the 1.6TD could you let m know.

What I heard was there are two different ones 94 and 100mm but this has not been official and I can't find part numbers for them.

(sure is hard to type english on a french key board! èéçàôûù...... at my honey's place)
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

ETKA (the official VW parts database) lists the same part number for 1.6 and 1.9 cylinder head bolts. The cylinder heads are the same height. The 1.9 block is taller but that does not mean that the bolts thread in further - apparently the stock bolts don't so I can't see why that would be different when using studs.
stopping
Diesel Freak

Post by stopping »

Good point Andrew. Thorough as always I see.

Thanks!