Old guy Old Rabbit---both Happy.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : The Duckling arrived here about a year ago , does a 1983 Rabbit need TLC ? , I dish out TLC every day Yesterday I found that she has my favorite Exhaust connection to Exhaust manifold . the two spring clips..

Joyce Avenue has 3 signs first one Start of one Km and one Mile. SO ? she was right on to the inch , so when I report "Smileage" it is accurate. .Speedo is plus minus 5 % for speed.. nice to know when contesting a speeding ticket . Yes I won my last one.

Wonder took me to the Island for appointment with Cancer Doc on the way back we had time to burn before Ferry time SO ? I did a test drive in a 2009 Prius. . (DO NOT BUY ONE) so why am I buying one ? , for experiments only. .It has power steering that is heavy not Feather light like Bondo and Duckling and neither has Power steering..
Yes Wonder shopped like mad she is a good shopper. , she can smell specials and sales. , like a pair of brand new pants (for me) first class for two dollars. (Slvation Army shrift store Comox BC)

hagar.
avw
Glow Plug

Post by avw »

hagar, you mentioned that you use w120 in the crankcase. Just curious, what do you us in the winter months?

Thanks,
avw
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : Below 0 C I use W65 . remember I use a block-heater. Here on the West Coast of BC it seldom gets really cold. Why use AeroShell ? it is the best quality lube I ever tested for a Rabbit Turbo. , yes expensive , BUT those Bunnies of mine are worth it. , read my lips.

hagar.

PS : it has a NIL ash rating.. and I hagar like that.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : Op-Ivy and ALL . I am sure a lot of newbies know Op-Ivy , well he has connections to a very prominent family in this area , who has friends who runs a Sheep farm.. Mother Cougar a.k.a. "Mountain Lion" has to feed her two gorgeous 2 kittens , game warden is called , he shoots her , and the kittens are left to find food on their own , that is where hagar got in the picture. Somehow the kittens walked in to that charming little Log Cabin of Sigrid Hawkes. . I was called Duckling got me there in 10 minutes.. Lars Hawkes was the real HERO in this tale of the wood's. (he took lots of pictures) yes I will post them here. (promise).

How many Amerikan Rabbits died from Heat-Stroke ? (one is too many) but thousands IMHO.. how many from Frost -Bite ? EH ?

How do I make sure Duckling never overheats ? Simple and foolproof . I go behind "Joe the Plubber" and strip a couple of old Water Heaters. . Free wire , free Temperature Sensers. THERM-O-DISC style 7135 made in Kanada.. Then out in the shed to strip a Yamaha 650 horn . All I need EH ?

Adjustable from 122 F to 170 F plus a mual reset disk.

hagar.

PS : Idiot lights are for "IDIOTS". i'd rather blow my horn EH ?
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Hagar, could you please post a picture of the above setup disassembled and showing details of each piece used?
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : Andrew sure , no problem . But for newbies with 1.5 L NA or 1.6 L NA I tell them to use your system , if they can get the "Extension" . I almost mailed you one . . The two nuts in the middle are silver soldered together , called a long nut or splicing nut. .The lower Banjo is a Inlet banjo that barb leads to the Gauge. The top Banjo is a standard outlet with screen etc..The center bolt is a standard mm bolt thread drilled lengthwise and crossways. .I have a lathe so the job took little time . For newbies ? I tell them to use your type of adapter.. And I tell them that the test is a MUST.

I have 10 or more VW engines to test so mine has to be moved , To get 10 extensions ? NO I could not get them..

hagar.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

OK, I get it. No need for the detailed pic. I didn't realize that it was silver soldered, but that was the best explanation I could come up with and the reason I asked. Unfortunately, the threads are m12 x 1.5 which is somewhat uncommon. The standard m12 thread is 1.25 and most of the m12 fine threads are m12 x 1.75. I will see if I can find an m12 x 1.5 "coupling nut". If so, then one could use an m12 x 1.5 bolt, cut off the head and simply grind a channel in the bolt with a dremel or similar. The channel would need to be deeper than the threads, but certainly fairly easy to accomplish. Then, assembly with copper washers and its done.

I also really like the "pedestals" that I've used, but I haven't found a readily available source.

Andrew
slowbirds
Cetane Booster

Post by slowbirds »

slowbirds
Cetane Booster

Post by slowbirds »

slowbirds
Cetane Booster

Post by slowbirds »

hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbiy.

Post by hagar »

SAGA . : I hagar has hundreds of good pictures of VW Rabbit "How to do's" SO ? , well slowbirds dropped in to show me how to do Photo Bucket ---- no luck , hope Op-Ivy drops in soon.

If you have a blotter test as shown ? you did something right, Pictures will arrive soon as far as I am concerned
--- read my lips.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : Those blotter tests were done after more than a year of driving . They indicate a close to perfectly running Diesel "Duckling"

hagar.
slowbirds
Cetane Booster

Post by slowbirds »

bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

Hagar, nice avatar. I had to part out one that looked much like that except for the tree falling on the one I bought! I had to buy the whole car to get an injection pump but ended up making it all back selling off parts.

Yours is very nice and the turbo has to make it even sweeter.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : Remember the little Old Lady and the "Where ist Da Beef" ? . As many of you know hagar tells a lot of O T stuff but read my lips , here is the BEEF.(all beef)

Why now ? read on. When a Smart handy , well educated Swede , has problems with a slow starter motor , A light-bulb turned on in my brain , This beef may be good for a lot of DIY VW fanatics EH ? so ?.
I am going to dish it out .

The Swede asked me to as follows .: Can't you just write in plain english what you want me to test?

Swede I did like this : Make two dimples with drill-bit in ceter of battery lead post , fill with Vaseline immediately .Clear enough ? . This was for testing Battery NOT anything else. . Very important starting point (a pun). If you ever get 6 volts there with a fully charged battery Load or no load . In Sweden use a load like the starter or Head-lights ,If you ever see 6 volt ? scrap that battery.

I know that Clean contacts and grounds is covered already , So I shall dish out the Rib-eye .

Will a starter motor solenid make starter turn Sloooow ? YES . why ? Old age..

A DC solenoid may have a lack of lubrication of the Plunger . they get sticky in time. It must move freely .

Here is how hager does them , and never had to do em again . Inside is two sets of contacts The Big ones for power an the smsall ones. The starter Solenoid is a two step so Step one coil is the Pull in coil , and Step two is the holding coil. If Plunger is stuck the current is too mutc for the Key switch IMHO . It draws a lot of Amps. The holding coil draws very little Amps.

I then completely pull Starter and Solenoid apart , and CLEAN completely with a solvent. . And bake in oven to absolutely dry..

I Growler armature and clean all contacts, then comes the important part NO OIL OR GREASE , every thing will be spryed with lots and lota of Dow Corning DRY moly spray .. And lets not forget Commutator and NEW brushes.
I never had to redo any that I did. Is that not Beef ?

And my " Fraulein Bunny Bondo " will start at 100 below. top that .

You are all invired to ask specific Questions.

hagar.