Oil filtering

Anything related to biodiesel/biofuels, questions, answers, technical information for all VW Diesel Engines should go here.

Moderator: Fatmobile

BlueDog
Turbo Charger

Oil filtering

Post by BlueDog »

My source for wvo is complaining of the high cost of buying new oil. This is only recently. In the spirit of one hand washes the other I'm interested in working with them. Anyone know if there is any kind of process, whether it be filtering or something else, that would allow them to cook more batches before they turn it over to me? Obviously I don't want them to do anything that makes the oil go to high titration numbers. Thanks, Ed
'89 Jetta 2-dr gasser converted to 1.6L NA
'04 Jetta TDI GLS Platinium
'87 F350 dually 7.3 future project
'79 Mainship Perkins T6.354
ZachDKingNH
Glow Plug

Post by ZachDKingNH »

Hey Ed, there are a lot of restaurants that have a filtration unit that connects directly to the fryalator and filters it pretty well. not to sure what exactly they are called but i know for a face that a few folks do it. it makes the oil last quite a bit longer but can get a bit messy.
caveman
Diesel Freak

Post by caveman »

I would only worry about using WVO that has water in it. As long as there is no water, it's easy to buy some inexpensive filters [like from Northern Tool etc] and filter at home. Water is the killer. Even if the WVO is very dark, it should be clear, i.e. not cloudy or creamy. Do a frying pan test to make sure. Put some of the WVO in a pan, heat it and if the pops and hisses, there' water in it. If it gets to the point of smoking without any of that happening, ,you are okay.
1971 super beetle

1990 t3 transporter 1.9na
BlueDog
Turbo Charger

Post by BlueDog »

Yes, I test every jug of WVO for water by heating a sample cup of it to 230F. If there is any indication of water I don't use it for BD. Please tell me some details of how you filter the dark oil. Do you pump it through an oil filter? What micron? Thanks.
'89 Jetta 2-dr gasser converted to 1.6L NA
'04 Jetta TDI GLS Platinium
'87 F350 dually 7.3 future project
'79 Mainship Perkins T6.354
caveman
Diesel Freak

Post by caveman »

I use 2 large Racor filters. The first is 30 micron, second is 2 micron. Both have water block cartridges and bowls to see what is not going through. I pump using a strong but low pressure pump pushing the oil into the filters, not suction.
1971 super beetle

caveman
Diesel Freak

Post by caveman »

I use one of the 12v pumps this company has. http://www.enginegearonline.com/
Small ,but seems to be quite strong. It'll pull cold unfiltered WVO up 6 ft and then through the 2 filters without a wimper.
1971 super beetle

hobie1kanobie
Glow Plug

up low filtering

Post by hobie1kanobie »

hey guys,

i am new to this forum , so hi to all,

i have a 97 Hilux with a 3L engine and have been using a 2 tank system for over 20tho kays.
i filter all my oils, dark, clear and otherwise in an Up flow system. this gets all the crap out of the oil, including most water. i still do a pan test everynow and then just to make sure, but i have no problems so far. winter for me is the best time to filter as all the hi melt fats are caught in the pre-filter, shopping bags, and then are easily gotten rid of.

when i use the oil, it runs thru my FPHE then thru a Cav then thru another FPHE then into the pollack and then another cheapy inline filter straighht to the IP. so far so good.

hope that helps ya.

Hobie
Josh
Turbo Charger

Post by Josh »

Hey BlueDog,

I've read about franchise businesses which will clean fryer oil for restaurants, allowing them to double their change intervals. One such outfit is called FiltaFry.

You might discover if such a business exists in your area, and encourage your sources to consider trying them out.
-'79 rabbit, getting parted out
-'82 quantum wagon, gutting.
-'84 rehabbed quantum TD sedan, southern rustless beauty for sale
-'82 cherry Westy from AZ
-more all the time; are they breeding?