Old guy Old Rabbit---both Happy.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : very important note on Rabbit starters. On Rabbits 1977 to 1984 the starter Bolts are part of the motor mount . To remove or install , engine must be liftetd a bit. . I just jack up a bit on Oil pan.

If you want to ask me how many types of Starters we have to deal wih , EH ? go ahead...

hagar has fooled around with at least a 100 different designs , But on VW diesels ? eh 3 or four,

hagar.
rabbit_man
Turbo Charger

Post by rabbit_man »

Yeah hagar, your right on about the no oil or grease thing.

I rebuilt my starter last winter, new gear, brushes and bushings.
BUT, I didn't know that greasy starters ain't good, I white lithium greased the drive splines and bushings. If it's 0F or colder the starter takes a few bumps to get the gear to pop out, very annoying.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : Our Swedish friend (Meatball) , made me realize that Old Rabbit starters are difficult to fix at times . They get sticky intermittently .. and so on and so on.. The question was asked "How many amps does a Solenoid draw" ? . We can not do it with an Ammeter , so I do it with an OHM -meter.. VOLT divided by OHM gives us AMP..Yesterday I did the first test 1 . . OHM yes 12 AMP. . I feel better today so I do 3 or 4 more tests.

I would have guessed 5 or 6 AMP.. If 12 AMP is right ? .A starter relay is a good idea.

hagar.
MPalm
Turbo Charger

Post by MPalm »

I agree, 12A calls for a relay. I'll measure mine too and post the results some day. I would have thought it only pulls 1-3A :?

Man it's hot outside right now, 28C in the shade, I grew up in northern Sweden and like the winters better. I'll never get used to the hottest summers days...
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : I expected to find less AMP and more OHM today . it was the other way around . I could not find my LOW OHM. -meter . My professional "AVO" shows about 1/2 an OHM. I will report as soon as I find it.

hagar.

PS : yes my favorite is a UK made "Ductor" , about $4000. I borrow.
vwtyp133
Turbo Charger

Post by vwtyp133 »

Ditto on the relay; just a Ford fenderwell starter relay works great (Wow... they work on my Fords, Jeep, & my VWs!).

For testing the stock solenoid's (or the starter's) current draw, I'd use an inexpensive inductive ammeter, such as http://www.kd-tools.com/2423.htm or even http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=96308.

IMO that's close enough to get a good idea of what's going on.

J.R.
SoCal
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : vwtyp133 wrote : IMO that's close enough to get a good idea of what's going on..

I hagar second that , IMHO that is a great little instrument to carry in trunk at all (ALL) time.

hagar
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : To yell "Eureka" on July 04 2009 is fine with me , plus the weather is skylarking stuff .

The "Sweet Spot" was confirmed. 51 statute miles on a U S gallon .

Next order of business ? finding the Maximum Smileage Spot . , that is slow going , BUT FUN.

Finding the Maximum POWER spot is easy , here we limit it to about 100 HP SAE. (that is like whipping a Horse stuck in mud.

Sweet spot is ECO stuff , the Power spot is LDA stuff.

hagar will report later.

Thank you Mark Shepherd ( Worm ) and MPalm (Meatball) for helping me with the "Abacus" work.

hagar.
slowbirds
Cetane Booster

smilage test

Post by slowbirds »

Today I got a call from hagar, he wanted me to go along with him on this smilage test run to write down the numbers and verify all was correct. The picture above shows the setup he has in his car and it works great as long as you can get past the diesel smell. We had to go into town to where the start sign is for the odometer check. We did the exact mile and his odometer was right on the money. It was a good day for the run as there was no wind, warm and sunny. We drove to Saltery bay ferry terminal and back to his place. On the way back we stopped at Skeeter Jacks for lunch for which he paid for, its not often he buys me lunch so I felt privileged. Thanks again hagar!!!! We got back to his place without incident. I must say the car runs very smooth and quiet, hardly can tell its a diesel. There was no smoke at all that I could see. I was surprised how well it went even in 5th gear. Speed wise the trip was at 50 to 55 mph. On the hills the car did well, but he waited to long to shift down and lost rpm so it was a bit of a struggle to the top. I guess he wanted me to see how far it would go in 5th before shifting down. As it was there were only 2 cars behind and he pulled over to let them pass. It was a good test and convinced me he is not full of b.s. The hillbilly tuner knows his stuff.

Now for the numbers, Total distance 32.3 miles total fuel used 2.5 liters. measured with a ml beaker.
Hagar will add or correct to this post if I`m wrong on anything.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

48.9 miles per U.S. gallon.

58.6 miles per Imp. Gallon.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit .

Post by hagar »

SAGA : slowbirds thank you that is a fine picture.

For the rest of the gang . The bottles are 2 Litre COLLI ALBANI - (Italy) , Who emptied them ? (yes).

The blue thing at the rear bottle is a primmer bulb, The 48.9 MPG US is fine with me . I know the hills we had to climb. , That was no flatfoot prairie rump , read my lips.

In this row of tests , I am doing one more "Sweet-Spot" run. , the next row of tests ? will be different.

We hit 75 MPH on the back slopes of the "Hills" , It was a totally successful trip. (The Beer was cold at Skeeters)

hagar.

PS : I had Buudweiser.
Op-Ivy
Turbo Charger

Post by Op-Ivy »

The hills coming out of Saltery Bay are pretty steep. The terminal itself is pretty steep now that I think of it actually. Good numbers Hagar!

P.S. I will be coming down there around the August long weekend! :)
1990 TD Jetta - 490,000Km
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : slowbirds said : the car did well, but he waited to long to shift down and lost rpm so it was a bit of a struggle to the top.

I did not wait too long , it was deliberate. . My Rabbit rule is , downshift before you have to, These mothers like lots of RPM and hate Torque.

I know those "Hills" every one of them and normally I have noticed where to downshift (early).

101 to Sigrids "Log Cabin" Third all the way , with pedal to the metal .(sounds to like 4500 RPM). and happy..

Op-Ivy , you are in for a real experience in interesting personalities when you meet those two sisters Sigrid and Lenora.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : " Sweet-Spot " morning , how sweet she is.

I drove from here to Skeeter Jacks , to limber up oil , I use AeroShell W 120 . Then from Jacks to home used 200 ml for exactly 4.0 Miles.

Who needs an Abacus for those numbers EH ? not hagar.

200 ml = 4.0 Miles statute. ergo.

2000 ml = 40.0 Miles so ?

2 litres = 64.3737 Km . more than 32 Km on a litre in Sweet spot tuning . that concludes that round of testing .

Now hagar is going for the "House Cup" (forum jug ?). guys place your bets .

Op-Ivy is a (soon to be) professional numbers crunchier , so I am asking him to double check all my numbers.

hagar.

PS : all was normal driving .NO big hills.
tripseven
Diesel Freak

Post by tripseven »

200 ml = .052834410472 US gallons

4 miles statute divided by .052834410472 US gallons = 75.7 MPG