A/C clutch replacement

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Kneale Brownson
Cetane Booster

A/C clutch replacement

Post by Kneale Brownson »

Is it possible to replace the magnetic clutch on the A/C compressor on a 1995 Jetta TD? The clutch isn't engaging.

I'd like to avoid going through all the evac/flush/replace-expensive-drier/etc. procedure in order to replace the whole compressor just because the clutch isn't functioning.

I've replaced just the clutch without opening the system on an Audi.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Yes this is possible. I have looked into it but never changed one as the compressor on my car makes a noise (for 3 years now). There are specific tools to hold the compressor so you can remove the nut, but I don't know if they're absolutely necessary or not. It wouldn't surprise me that if you don't have the special tools, the job would be a real bugger to do.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

Have you jumpered the clutch to see if it will engage with external power? Your high pressure switch may be preventing it from engaging if your pressure is too low (low charge) or too high (clogged condensor or lines).

If it still won't engage with external power, then I guess you could try the clutch replacement.

If it will engage with external power, then you have problems elsewhere.

Those MK3 compressors were notoriously crap. If it were me, I'd do the whole shebang (if I were planning on keeping the car).
FineFrank
Turbo Charger

Post by FineFrank »

If the clutch is like most domestic cars, it takes a 5/8" coarse thread bolt screwed into the center of the clutch to remove it. Remove the bolt holding it on first, and screw the bigger bolt in. You can hold it with a large pair of channellock pliers. It'll come off pretty easy. New clutch just bolts on.
Kneale Brownson
Cetane Booster

Post by Kneale Brownson »

Quantum TD wrote:Have you jumpered the clutch to see if it will engage with external power? Your high pressure switch may be preventing it from engaging if your pressure is too low (low charge) or too high (clogged condensor or lines).

If it still won't engage with external power, then I guess you could try the clutch replacement.

If it will engage with external power, then you have problems elsewhere.

Those MK3 compressors were notoriously crap. If it were me, I'd do the whole shebang (if I were planning on keeping the car).
I have good power to the clutch connector and a good ground there too. Clutch doesn't engage. System is charged, which is why I wanted to avoid disconnecting the compressor from its plumbing if possible.