HP/KW required to turn the pump

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

dalek
Glow Plug

HP/KW required to turn the pump

Post by dalek »

Odd question: how much power is it needed to turn the fuel pump?
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

A fuel pump on a gas engine, or an injection pump on a diesel engine?
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
dalek
Glow Plug

Post by dalek »

Well, I did not know I this forum would also take gasoline engine questions, specially since it said it was more for pre-TDI cars. That is really nice to know!

However, I had a Bosch VE series pump in mind. If you run gasoline on it too, you sure are way braver than me!
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

I don't know the HP required and have never seen it listed anywhere. Do you want to know the max or the average? The HP required at full pedal will be significantly higher than idle. Additionally, the HP required for a pump with a larger plunger will also be greater.
dalek
Glow Plug

Post by dalek »

My problem is that I want to build a bench tester for the pump and need to figure out which electric motor and pulley setup I will need.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Be sure to let me know when you figure it out. I'd also be interested in seeing details on the bench tester.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

This particular forum that you posted your question is for general VW questions, gas or diesel.

As for figuring out to determine what HP you need to spin the pump, maybe a little internet searching for some Bosch IP testing equipment may yield a HP size for testing equipment, or a specific model number and a sales company that a phone call could have someone tell you the electrical charasteristics for that particular piece of equipment.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

I've been giving some thought to a test bench also and this question has come up in my mind as well.

I've seen people spin 'em with reasonably-sized electric drill... so that's where I was going to start. Per Andrew's point, the power required at idle is not going to be what full throttle will require, but the "test bench in my mind" is more about confirming proper leak-free operation, so I'm not thinking I'll need the full power.

I'll have to go check... there's a reasonable chance one of the 2 original papers on the design of the VW diesel engine lists losses due to the pump.
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

I have also given thought to building a test bench, but would fit the injectors and test the flow rate. I actually have a wood flooring drum sander (throw-back from my wood flooring business) which has a 220V 3 HP (very high torque) motor with a cogged drive pulley that has two different sized sprockets for two different speeds. I've thought that coupled with my pulse adapter, advance equipped timing light, gauge equipped air pump for sending pressure to the aneroid, graduated cylinder and stopwatch I'd be in business. :wink:
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

You could work it out using radius' leverages cosines etc, but why not get a spare pump, stick it in a bench vise put on lines and a set of injectors...
Fill up pump, energise the solenoid, wrap sea fishing line round the sprocket, attach an electronic fish balance, and pull. Do it for several different [calibrated] sets of injectors. Plot the graph. Take your infra red or other tach reader, and note rpm.... :idea:
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

The HP requirement will also vary with RPM (added internal pressure and drag on the vane pump).
tawney
Turbo Charger

Post by tawney »

I've turned several pumps with a variable speed electric drill: 7 amps with low gearing for a max rpm of 900. My laser photo tach indicated that it was turning right close to 900 when pumping fuel through the pump with the drill maxed out. So, very little loss of rpm with 770 watts at that slow speed. You would probably want to turn at around 250 rpm up to 2500 rpm to test it through the full range of engine rpm, so maybe plan for 1200 watts? There's more to it than just that, though, because you'll need a good bit of torque just to get it started turning. The drill I used was electronic variable speed which can provide the maximum wattage even at slow rpms.

Post pictures when you get it up and running.

Steve
81 Pickup 1.6NA; '86 Cabriolet with 1.6 TD
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Yes, I've turned pumps with a drill as well, but never with the injectors installed and fuel being pushed. I imagine the HP requirement is considerably more under those circumstances.
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

The test bench Giles uses (as per his Youtube videos) has a rather large motor... admittedly it looks like it probably can handle everything up to a D9 pump, but I'd bet that with injectors installed it would take a bit of power.... my guess is that Andrew's motor will handle it. :wink:
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

H P to drive V E Pump.

Post by hagar »

dalek : please enter your location on profile

hagar.