Exhaust donut gasket............

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

jetta90
Cetane Booster

Exhaust donut gasket............

Post by jetta90 »

Just replaced the exhaust gasket/donut that fits in the exhaust bowl..................the donut fits in between the manifold where the 4 exhausts join into 1, and the bowl that sits at the beginning of the muffler system.
New donut and 2 new clips.
The bowl area leaks exhaust fumes big time. Does the mesh that makes up the donut need many heat/cold cycles, along with a bunch of soot to go through it to seal up properly? The wire mesh donut seems to be quite porous when you look at it.
What have you folks experienced in the past when replacing this donut gasget?..................uhhh, other than cursing them darned clips.
thank you.
jetta90
Cetane Booster

Post by jetta90 »

oopppppsss....................me again, forgot to mention - 1990 Jetta TD. :oops:
vwkook
Diesel Freak

Post by vwkook »

It's possible you just need to wiggle things around to get it to seat properly. This has happened to me before.
'69 Fasty
'81 Caddy
VanagonExpress

Post by VanagonExpress »

I guess it is possible you have the donut upside down?
:roll:
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Put a smear of Permatex Ultra Copper on the sealing surfaces and your problem will be solved.

Andrew
wbhgrace
Cetane Booster

Post by wbhgrace »

A question about the donut gaskets - I previously had the fibrous type (kind of like steel wool with some sort of gasket material molded into the donut shape), and now I have a solid metal one. I believe I get a little leakage, and I'll try the Permatex advice. My question is which kind of donut gasket do you folks think works better - the fibrous one or the solid metal one? Does one type work better than the other with Permatex sealer? Thanks.
-Will
'81 Rabbit 1.6D NA
'85 Westfalia Camper, Gasoline:(
rebuilder
Cetane Booster

Post by rebuilder »

Suggest you check the tightness of the two C clamps, Sometimes they get stretched when being installed. This could make the joint loose.
1989 Jetta NA diesel 280,000 miles
1984 Rabbit NA diesel 190,000 miles
archebald23
Glow Plug

Post by archebald23 »

wbhgrace wrote:A question about the donut gaskets - I previously had the fibrous type (kind of like steel wool with some sort of gasket material molded into the donut shape), and now I have a solid metal one. I believe I get a little leakage, and I'll try the Permatex advice. My question is which kind of donut gasket do you folks think works better - the fibrous one or the solid metal one? Does one type work better than the other with Permatex sealer? Thanks.
The metal ones are better because they are designed to handle the extra heat generated by our supercharged engines through our [link to online store removed by mod as per the forum's don't-compete-with-the-host policy].