N/A Head on a 1.6 Turbo engine

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Diesel Dean
Turbo Charger

N/A Head on a 1.6 Turbo engine

Post by Diesel Dean »

Well I can't find pre chambers for my turbo head so I am looking at using a N/A head on my Turbo engine. (My pre chambers have cracks) Anybody have luck running a N/A head on a turbo engine. Should I put the exhaust valves from the turbo in the N/A head? Can the exhaust valve be ground down for a new valve job? I have heard they will blow up if you try to grind them. My pre chambers are 30mm.
1981 VW Diesel truck / 1984 Rabbit car welded together
coke

Post by coke »

I read somewhere once the later A2 heads were all the same between turbo and NA. Someone can probably confirm this, but if thats the case, a 1.6NA head from a late 80s, 91, 92 would fit.

The turbo heads used a sodium injected alloy and special exhaust valves.
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

coke wrote:I read somewhere once the later A2 heads were all the same between turbo and NA. Someone can probably confirm this, but if thats the case, a 1.6NA head from a late 80s, 91, 92 would fit.

It'll work fine. Minor differences.

Fatmobile says the pre-combustion chambers are slightly different. TD have a "pock" mark indicating the difference.

I've heard several places that the valves are sodium filled on turbo diesel, I've also read that they can explode if resurfaced. I've also read that they can also explode if the combustion temps reach MASSIVE temps. Later technology is better than the sodium valves (ie stainless).

These are the only differences that I remember and they're just not worth worrying about.
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

CoolAirVw wrote:
coke wrote:I read somewhere once the later A2 heads were all the same between turbo and NA. Someone can probably confirm this, but if thats the case, a 1.6NA head from a late 80s, 91, 92 would fit.

Fatmobile says the pre-combustion chambers are slightly different. TD have a "pock" mark indicating the difference.

I've heard several places that the valves are sodium filled on turbo diesel, I've also read that they can explode if resurfaced. I've also read that they can also explode if the combustion temps reach MASSIVE temps. Later technology is better than the sodium valves (ie stainless).

These are the only differences that I remember and they're just not worth worrying about.
Where did I hear that the sodium was actually salt, which shakes up and down :?

I know that my favourite alloy icecream scoop does have something 'sand like' inside it :shock:
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
Diesel Dean
Turbo Charger

Post by Diesel Dean »

I talked to Jack about my cracks and he said some of the 1.5 diesel engines had the same size pre chambers. I dug out an old 1.5 head and sure enough they are 30 mm. I pounded the pre chambers out of the 1.5 and put them in my TD head. Jack said to use Permatex red threadlocker to help hold them in. They fit in nice and snug. The only thing I don't like is the pre chambers are ever so slitghtly above the surface of the head. I can just barely hook my finger nail on the pre chamber. What do you guys think will this cause a sealing problem? Other than that I am good to go.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Great info about the 1.5 prechambers.
Are you going to peen around the prechambers?
I wonder if it will be a big enough ridge to cause a headgasket leak.
I've heard of a very good diesel head rebuilder that like to put the prechambers in, see how they sit, then remove them and surface them to be flat with the head.
Everyone I know surfaces the head with the prechambers in.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
rabbit_man
Turbo Charger

Post by rabbit_man »

Where did I hear that the sodium was actually salt, which shakes up and down

I know that my favourite alloy icecream scoop does have something 'sand like' inside it
Not sure if it's exactly "salt" but I know if you cut the valve open and throw it in a bucket of water it has a real neat reaction, I think it makes hydrogen. :shock: I did it to an exhaust valve off a lycoming.
Diesel Dean
Turbo Charger

Post by Diesel Dean »

Yes I did peen around the pre chanbers for a little add comfort. I know a lot of people have problem with the crack in the pre chambers on a TD head. It should be noted some places to use the 1.5 pre chambers so everybody will see this.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Sodium melts at a relatively low temperature (208°F) and so it is a liquid when the engine is operating and sloshes up and down the valve stem with the motion of the valve. The theory is that when the valve moves down the sodium sloshes up the valve stem transferring more heat to the guides. When the valve closes it sloshes back down to the head and absorbs more of the heat from the head. The reaction with water is quite violent and forms sodium hydroxide (lye) and hydrogen which in turn can for a fairly violent reaction with oxygen. That strong reaction with water is why pure sodium cannot be found naturally occurring.

Andrew
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Re: N/A Head on a 1.6 Turbo engine

Post by CoolAirVw »

Diesel Dean wrote:Well I can't find pre chambers for my turbo head
Actually theres a guy on the GTD forum who's trying to order PC chambers from a supplier in Poland. Heres the link.

http://www.vwdiesel.net/phpBB/viewtopic ... sc&start=0
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
hippiehulahooper
Turbo Charger

mech na head on mech turbo block

Post by hippiehulahooper »

CoolAirVw wrote:

my na mech block is drinking the oil. about a quart a week. and the awy trans went out with a leak. I replaced the passenger side flange seal and took it out. the trans is still making weird noises. so I guess I am done with it.

I have access to a turbo block. pretty much everything but the head and pump. and a couple of different trans.

my question is if the na head will work fine on the turbo block with accessories like oil cooler, intake and exhaust manifold, turbo pan and lines, what else would I need? 155 injectors? turbo pump?
90 Jetta chasis, NA mech. PS, AC.
parts needed:drivers side rain gutter, drivers side rocker panel and rear flare

86 Jetta TD(bottom end needs rebuild)