Old guy Old Rabbit---both Happy.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

tripseven
Diesel Freak

Post by tripseven »

hagar...so far the wax has been useful. Its hard for me to claim any HP gain at this point but I can claim that I get up the same hill in 4th gear that forces me into 3rd without wax. Yes, same hill, starting in 4th gear at 45MPH at base of hill with full tank of waxed fuel. Same scenario without wax always end up in 3rd gear at any tank level.

Right now Im burning 1 full tank of 454g wax to 14.5gal fuel to get the MPG and using the same route to work and back as I did with previous tank. Last tank of plain fuel I got 48.2MPG US. Im using my 85 Golf 1.6na that has a 14.5gal tank. That comes to 31.3g wax/gal. Will post the results when I get this tank burned off.

The amount of wisdom on this forum is endless. In no particular order, 82vdub, Fatmobile, Op-Ivy, coke, Andrew, hagar, Roger and many others...all you guys know your stuff inside-and-out. How do I know? Most of the problems I come across are already answered in this forum :lol:

Yer right hagar...hydraulic fluid on shift linkage is "slicker than snot on a door knob" :wink:

Thanks a bunch to you all!!!
Op-Ivy
Turbo Charger

Post by Op-Ivy »

Thanks for the props Trip! It all comes from trial and error :)

PS: Don't forget to include the diesel wax you put into the tank in your MPG calculation!
1990 TD Jetta - 490,000Km
tripseven
Diesel Freak

Post by tripseven »

This will be the first time I ever wanted to burn thru a tank of fuel quickly. I want to base these numbers on volume and normal driving to get real-world numbers. Should take a while though and only burned off 200 miles so far :lol:
slowbirds
Cetane Booster

mpg imp.

Post by slowbirds »

hey hagar, you know what I get on my honda cx500, after you attacked it, 116.6967 miles divided by 2.4298 imp. gals. is 48.02 mpg.

You do better with your old duckling!!!
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : yes I discovered the Miracle medicine for lethargic Rabbits " Paraffin WAX " . BUT was it smarts ? NO.

It was fooling around with a insatiable curiosity. a.k.a. S H Luck.

Here we use CONROS nee ESSO paroWAX. comes in 450 gram Granules or Blocks..

Important to know about "canning" Wax . It has a boiling and or melting Temp spread all over the place., no matter if it is solid at room temp ? it works.. I prefer a very high melting Temp , It means higher viscosity..in the mix.

Using a blending chart from a Refiner like ESSO Mobil a perfect blend is possible.. All Rabbits needing WAX goes like this , from a drop to a dram. BUT you got to sort it out. There is no overdose this side if the cloud-point (in Summer)

450 gram to a tank ? very rich , very rich but fine if you can pay.

hagar..
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : tire inflation issue. . To clear things up I went down this cool morning and Front Right was 45 Psig and left was 43. The way I remember it Tires must be tested cold. SO 1 Psig over EH ?.

Like 82vdub's mine are rated 44 Psig. I know the young lady who drove these tires before me. Shows signs of Under inflation.

Sitting in the sun , later I shall check again HOT. The Bentley say Tires must be tested COLD. SO ? the over-inflation was moistly in the lingo accusing me of being Irresponsible EH ?.

These tires are radials with a wider foot print than Rabbits normally use and Bondo and Duckling neither have power steering. But with 44 Psig they make the steering light.

I proof test to 100 Psig COLD in a steel cage. never had one blow up so far (kiss a Rabbit foot)

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : tripseven , my vision is no longer better than 20 20 . SO ? I tried to crush that little bug .

hagar.
tripseven
Diesel Freak

Post by tripseven »

I was bored...plus I do love older VW bugs :)

Hope you didnt use a hammer
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Re: Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by 82vdub »

hagar wrote:I tried to crush that little bug .
Sorry hagar, but I got a really, really good chuckle out of that one :lol:
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
rabbit_man
Turbo Charger

Post by rabbit_man »

82vdub wrote:
hagar wrote:I tried to crush that little bug .
Sorry hagar, but I got a really, really good chuckle out of that one :lol:
Me too....I'm still laughing :lol:
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

Now you guy's are bugging Hagar.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : tripsevens "BUG" ? there is a case where TUNING does not work , but "TIMING" did.

I have been squashing bugs on the screen for weeks. Aim right thumb . forward rotate and bug be gone . EH ?.

But his Timing was perfect , he got me. And got me good.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : the summer is waning here on the west coast North so sad. (hagar is right on 101)

Eysterday I did the first "Flow-Test" on the Ducling . 60 seconds 350 ml . (a good read).

Of all the rudimentary test's this one is the most IMPORTANT., read my lips.

Why ? It checks the complete fuel system in one go. from tank to tank..

We do the test at idle RPM (not critical) fast , slow idle no matter. For the newbies I don't mind saying that I am mighty proud of having dreamed up the "Flow-Test" and the "Pull-Test" . Both are good for Amerika and the World. , read my lips.

Ok Ok I know this rubs some of you the wrong way EH ? me worry ? heck NO I went to school in the Lone Star State . West Texas I just loved my time there. (with a 45 on my hip).

hagar.

PS : Texas ? that was 1953.
Ira B
Turbo Charger

Post by Ira B »

hagar wrote:SAGA : the summer is waning here on the west coast North so sad. (hagar is right on 101)

Eysterday I did the first "Flow-Test" on the Ducling . 60 seconds 350 ml . (a good read).

Of all the rudimentary test's this one is the most IMPORTANT., read my lips.

Why ? It checks the complete fuel system in one go. from tank to tank..

We do the test at idle RPM (not critical) fast , slow idle no matter. For the newbies I don't mind saying that I am mighty proud of having dreamed up the "Flow-Test" and the "Pull-Test" . Both are good for Amerika and the World. , read my lips.

Ok Ok I know this rubs some of you the wrong way EH ? me worry ? heck NO I went to school in the Lone Star State . West Texas I just loved my time there. (with a 45 on my hip).

hagar.

PS : Texas ? that was 1953.

Test for general condition of the IP?
Diesel Newbedo
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : 82vdub would you be nice and translate for Ira B and the newbies , what I am trying to say ?.

Tell them to read the "Sticky group" . I am going to tell them to read hagars SAGA . (the coming winter,by the fireside),

maybe a hagar fireside chat would work EH ?.

hagar.

PS : read all 6 pages EH ?.