IP not sucking fuel

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

You were able to suck on a piece of clear fuel line hooked up to the pump output until you had pulled fuel through all the fuel lines, filter and pump weren't you?
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Re: still no output

Post by Quantum-man »

Diesel_Rabbit wrote:Still nothing out of the output fuel line. If I remove the OUT bolt, it is empty inside. I can fill it with fuel and it will run 2-3 minutes then stalls. I removed the IN bolt, and it is overflowing with fuel.

frustrated
I understand your frustration, so lets get you back on the road with this one. [I reserve the right to send someone rondto kick yer butt if youve been a complete plonker!]

If you disconnect the fuel lines, that head back to and come from the tank and dip the short pieces of rubber pipe leaving the pump and leading up to the fuel filter into a jar [ No, to make this fool proof dip the supply into a pint of fuel in a bottle and put the return line into a separate bottle]
. Crank a few times.
Do you get fuel sucked up?
If not, can you either blow with a bicycle pump through the lines, or my preference is to get one of those syringes and suck fuel through.
If sucking forms a strong vaccuum but no fuel then disconnect the fuel filter that connects directly to the clear line and suck again, or with the cycle pump blow through the transparent fuel supply line whilst the RETURN line is dangling in a bottle of fuel.
Can you blow bubbles?
If not then your pump is blocked.
Do these operations and come back to us.
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
Diesel_Rabbit
Diesel Freak

i can blow bubbles

Post by Diesel_Rabbit »

Yes, when blowing into the inline fuel line, there are bubbles in the output jar of fuel. but when car is running there is no fuel taken from the input jar of fuel and no output of fuel. does this mean i have a dead injector?
------------------------------------
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon 5sp, 135,000 mi
1984 Rabbit diesel, 240,000 mi, wvo conversion
1985 Yanmar YM146 diesel, 1650 hrs, wvo conversion
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Re: i can blow bubbles

Post by Quantum-man »

Diesel_Rabbit wrote:Yes, when blowing into the inline fuel line, there are bubbles in the output jar of fuel. but when car is running there is no fuel taken from the input jar of fuel and no output of fuel. does this mean i have a dead injector?
Trace for me with your finger up the return pipe and tell me where that pipe goes.
I do not expect you to tell me that it goes directly to the injector barbs. It should go to the pump first. then branch away to the injectors.
The test we previously did tells us nothing about the injectors, other than if you'd left them out ofthe head and on the bench then the length of line going from the pump back towards the injectors would 'normally' spew diesel on startup.
If your supply and return lines are corectly attached , and you can blow bubbles, then something has happened to the vane pump inside the pump a few inches behind the cambelt sprocket.
Possibly they have stuck in. Do a search for vane/lift pump to see what it looks like....
Very similar design to 99% of the vaccuum pumps. There is something majorly wrong here :?
This may be a good thing. So don't die yet :idea:

EDIT You could try raising the supply bottle high up on to thehood like a drip feed. Have a separate return bottle for convenience. Ifvehicle runs then it is a vane pump problem likely just vanes stuck in.. . Filling pump with some kind of cleaner should help

... girls like em ;o)

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
Diesel_Rabbit
Diesel Freak

thanks

Post by Diesel_Rabbit »

it is filled with diesel purge at the moment.

what about the fuel solenoid or elect wire that go to it. could that be a something to check?
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Nope. The vane pump still pulls fuel through the pump regardless of the fuel cutoff solenoid position. The fuel solenoid only prevents the fuel from entering the high pressure side of the pump. If fuel isn't moving through the pump when the engine is cranked, then there is a problem that does not involve the stop solenoid.

Andrew
PORSCHE_DIESEL
Cetane Booster

Post by PORSCHE_DIESEL »

I am having the same issue as Diesel_Rabbit.

Have had the vehicle parked for a couple of months and now it refuses to run, will not take throttle and will only idle (roughly) with the cold start lever all the way out.

I am able to draw fuel through the pump with a mityvac which will allow it to run for a few seconds (10-20) but it then dies.

There is no fuel leaving the pump via the return line and the pump is not drawing fuel.

Am I correct to assume my vane pump has stuck in its bore? This vehicle sat for 5+ years before I got it and I was able to start it right up more or less. Had been running it on B20 Biodiesel most recently.
1982 VW Diesel Pickup - Sold
1980 VW Diesel Pickup - Parted
1981 Datsun 810 Diesel x 2
1975 Porsche 914
1986 Porsche 944 x 2
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

You need to isolate the fuel system so you can start to troubleshoot where the problem resides. First, are you sure your glowplugs are working (not just the light coming on) and the engine is properly timed?

Rig up a jar of fuel to run the car from. Fill the IP with fuel through the fuel solenoid or out bolt to make sure it's full of fuel, then try to start the car. For a better effect, hang the jar higher than the engine (watch out for fuel spil and fires) so that you are sure there's fuel at the IP. Then, try to start it. If it runs fine, then you may have a fuel problem from the fuel filter back to the tank. Basically half the fuel system, isolate which side it's on then proceed from there. Of course, if your compression is so low, glow plugs not working and timing off, the car may never start, even with fuel.

Since it's colder out, are you sure your tank screen or fuel filter isn't clogged with solidified fuel from the biodiesel?
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Yrep, the vanes could be stuck or there could be a restriction in the fuel system.
OUT bolt screen could be clooged, keeping fuel from flowing from the pump and back to the tank.
...Orrr like 82vdub suggested. The tank screen or other fuel system part could be clogged.
Pull the OUT bolt and check the screen,... and put a piece of clear fuel line On the output of the pump,
see if you can such fuel through the system,... Won't pull?
put the clear line on the filter and suck on it,... won't pull? and whatever fuel you did get through the filter jump back to the tank when you quit sucking on the line? Put the clear line on the tube coming from the tank; before the filter.
If it still draws hard it's probably the tank screen,.. or if it's an A2 it could be the check valve.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Diesel_Rabbit
Diesel Freak

have already done those test

Post by Diesel_Rabbit »

Thanks but have already done what suggested several times over. as mentioned before, in and out lines just go into a jar of fuel. Its been 4 months now, so frustrated I got another IP that I plan to swap out.
Duster 5.9
Cetane Booster

Post by Duster 5.9 »

is it running yet?
Diesel_Rabbit
Diesel Freak

still not running

Post by Diesel_Rabbit »

nope! I installed a rebuilt IP last fall and still cannot get it to fire up. Its been a busy summer so just sits in the garage waiting to be fixed.

Anyone in Bangor Maine area that can help me? I will pay $!

I may take it to a high-end diesel performance shop but afraid it will cost $$$ plus towing.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

I P sucks NOT.

Post by hagar »

Diesel_Rabbit said :
84 rabbit will not start , but after 10
min of driving it suddenly accelerates like something unplugged.

I would like to help you BUT I am a Flunkey in English in Eropa..

Maybe it's constipated. said Fatmobile yeiks I am on painkillers
for canser and just mention the word constipated , makes me swet.

A primer bulb is called for. , then it does not need to suck EH ? all
my Rabbits have them. The old Rabbits had a primer fump as part of normal
VW BOSCH installation.

WVO wil do you in every time, read my lips. Clean the Pump Yes
Kerosene will do , then run on 15 PPM for a while.

hagar.
Diesel_Rabbit
Diesel Freak

vanes stuck?

Post by Diesel_Rabbit »

how does one know if the vanes are stuck? can they be unstuck?

I have swapped out the injector pump but get the same reaction. car will not start and hold idle. i can pour fuel into the IP and will go for 20 sec and die. i am have my in/out hoses in jars full of fuel, but nothing comes or goes. again this even after swapping out a IP.

PORSCHE_DIESEL, you mentioned having the same problem..were you able to resolve?
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

Could it be that your fuel filter is either blocked, or letting in air? Seeing as changing pumps had no effect :idea:

... girls like em ;o)