Oil in the intake 1.9 td

Moderator: Fatmobile

allsierra123
Glow Plug

Oil in the intake 1.9 td

Post by allsierra123 »

got it started today and there was oil in the rubber elbow coming out of the turbo that goes to the intake? Is that normal? Or should I be checking something?
91 GL auto 1.9 TD conversion.
rsxsr

Post by rsxsr »

A little oil is normal. Clean up all the oil residue and reinstall. While you have the boot off, take your thumb and index finger and grab the center stud of the turbo. See how much play side to side and up and down you have. A little is ok, If it is clunking around, it is worn out. The valve cover breathes into the intake manifold. Even on the NA diesel, it was normal for oil to accumulate in the bottom of the intake manifold. The turbo is lower and some of this residue could be from the breather hose above. "A diesel loves it's oil, like a sailor loves his rum." Captain Ron Regards,
allsierra123
Glow Plug

Post by allsierra123 »

Mine really seems to breath it. out that tube back into the intake. I think maybe the engine has sat for a while and needs to work itself back into proper lubrication and knock the cob webs off. Im hoping anyway. Other wise Im looking at a turbo rebuild possibly. Then I get into a whole new can of worms.
Josh
Turbo Charger

Post by Josh »

There are folks who sell kits to rebuild turbos and the prices are very reasonable when you compare them to the astronomical costs of a new or factory unit. Don't fret; if the turbo is the culprit (and it seems it's so, that or you've got a lousy swap job), there is a solution that's not insanely expensive.

Without naming names, it might be a good time to warn people again about the outfit based in various places in Nevada and sometimes California selling TD vw stuff. They're extremely risky as a source of parts or vehicles, and many people have had very very bad experiences with them.

I won an auction for an engine from an auction site they had set up, but when they didn't like the price they just said it was not available.
-'79 rabbit, getting parted out
-'82 quantum wagon, gutting.
-'84 rehabbed quantum TD sedan, southern rustless beauty for sale
-'82 cherry Westy from AZ
-more all the time; are they breeding?
allsierra123
Glow Plug

Post by allsierra123 »

I got mine directly out of canada from a low mileage wreck. and swapped on the vanagon bits myself.