2-stage injector nozzle replacement

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

VW cat
Turbo Charger

2-stage injector nozzle replacement

Post by VW cat »

I finally attempted replacing the nozzles on my sons 97 Jetta TD. One did not look good in the pop tester. I got out one of the 4 new Bosch made in India nozzles. Placing it back in the tester it opened at 3600psi. Taking the .066"shim out from under the smaller of the 2 springs, I put a .024 washer in its place and it opened at 2300psi with a nice puff. Putting it back in the engine, I seem to have a miss on that cylinder that wasn't there before. With the cold start out it runs fine, otherwise I get a bit of blue smoke out the exhaust, with a rough running engine at idle. Cracking that injector line makes almost no difference.

Does anyone have any experience setting this type of injector? Phil
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

Unfortunately the dual-spring injectors require special equipment to calibrate properly. Special measuring gear is required as well as a good collection of both types of shims.

My suggestion: IM a fellow Ontarian, Burn Your Money, for a suggestion on how to proceed.
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

Maybe nozzle has been oveer torqued and has crumpled onto the needle. Binding in any case. Remove injector and retest.
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
VW cat
Turbo Charger

Post by VW cat »

Thanks for the replies. I might just price a new injector. I can save the 293 nozzles for my spare '93 1.9 engine which has the single stage injectors. Phil