Old guy Old Rabbit---both Happy.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

DervConvert
Cetane Booster

Post by DervConvert »

Hello everyone, newly registered user after finding and reading THE most interesting (I know, I should get a life!! :lol: ) technical discussions on what I regard to be an engineering masterpiece, the Bosch VE injection pumps.

I notice new users get kicked for not including details of their VW diesels so I'm wondering if I'll get blackballed for not actually owning one? My interest is purely in diesel engines and the IP as I own a PSA engined car. (Is that a sin on here or will I still be welcome? :oops: ) Ergo, I have a Bosch AS3 VP20 which is a semi-electronic pump with cold-start/advance and LDA. In the two years of diesel ownership, I've learnt more about engines than I ever have in my almost 50 years of life. Utterly fascinating.

Hagar, it is an honour to know you - at least I feel I sort of know you from the tales you've given us and the many late evenings I spent reading your posts. I tip my hat to you for many reasons not least of all your willingness to (teasingly) give for free your time and knowledge. Thank you, and thank you for everyone elses contributions especially the kind souls that work unseen in the background to publish this site and keep it maintained.

As expected, I have a lot questions and need to re-read many parts I didn't fully understand but I'll leave those for future posts as this one is getting too large for an "intro".

In order to keep on-topic, Bosch DO consider diesel fuel to be compressible which I assume to mean it has to be taken into consideration when dealing with these pumps. HTH.
Regards,
M
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

DervConvert wrote:I notice new users get kicked for not including details of their VW diesels so I'm wondering if I'll get blackballed for not actually owning one? My interest is purely in diesel engines and the IP as I own a PSA engined car.
Interest is the same as owning one, IMO. Welcome to the forum.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA :DervConvert and ALL. I promised 6 pages MAXIMUM. EH ?. (143 pages)?.
(363 100?) hits WOW ?.

South Coast of England ? now you triggered my Battle of Britain and
the Blitz memories.. There I was just outside the fence at Kastrup
Luftwaffe base , part of the "Kammhuber Line". . My family was dirt
poor , so we lived upstairs' over a Beer Parlor.. And hagar was no
collaborator , read my lips.. I was a Ham operator ,known as a Radio
Amateur and while the Pilots after a day of Bombing Engeland arrived for a cool Beer I sat right above them listening to Short wave Radio London.. usually in the 40 meter band Yes in Danish. . BUT that incredible voice of Vera Lynn was in English.

Dame Vera Lynn, DBE (born 20 March 1917) is an English singer whose career flourished during World War II. Nicknamed "The Forces' Sweetheart", the songs most associated with her are "We'll Meet Again" and "The White Cliffs of Dover". hagars favorite song was when the lights go on again all over the world. EH ? we were in Black out conditions. .

Any diesel in this ? you bet in 1945 hagar was taking posession of a German Diesel flying boat 3 Jumo Diesels.

Now the English had Vera and the Germans had Marlene us combattants loved both , read my lips.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : The "Worm" below.

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

I hagar for many years read that as "Inside of the can" (Senelity?) .

Mark aka "Worm" we need your mailing address to send you a Free copy
of the BOSCH manual. (CD version).

I am in the process of promulgating a thank you entry for all those Fine Amerikans I met on my many travels in Amerika.

Hope to make it before I die (cancer).

hagar.
ctange
Cetane Booster

Re: Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by ctange »

hagar wrote: South Coast of England ? now you triggered my Battle of Britain and
the Blitz memories.. There I was just outside the fence at Kastrup
Luftwaffe base , part of the "Kammhuber Line". . My family was dirt
poor , so we lived upstairs' over a Beer Parlor.. And hagar was no
collaborator , read my lips.. I was a Ham operator ,known as a Radio
Amateur and while the Pilots after a day of Bombing Engeland arrived
for a cool Beer I sat right above them listening to Short wave Radio London.. usually in the 40 meter band Yes in Danish. . BUT that incredible voice of Vera Lynn was in English.
So you were in denmark at this time? interesting.
1989 1.6TD Diesel vanagon
1987 1.6D Golf Aut. Gear
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : after reading a lot of forum entries , I see that a lot of members still have troubles with those 3 pointed fasteners on the BOSCH VE pumps . SO ? I shall explain , again how simple it is .(yes to find in SAGA is a lot of time).

I use 6 pointed deep sockets 3/8 drive or 1/2 Inch drive. , I spread a cotter key and push inside socket , try one and you will get the drift. . On the big one on distributor head I use 1/2 inch breaker bar and a strong Vice..

BOSCH must employ Gorillas to tighten the screws holding things together , SO ? I had to use a hammer type screw driver to loosen.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : Lets face it . most of the VW Diesels like 1,5 L NA and 1.6 L NA and Turbo . not to forget the 1,6 L ECO . they are getting Old. SO ? Newbies needs lots of help from us Oldies. EH ?,

Here is what a Newbie should know about the Camshafts : The shaft is brittle , and will break if bearings are not Line Bored or Line Honed.

And yes the shaft has a Key-Way slot . Sprocket does not. , Explanation ? the shafts are used on Gear drive engines as well as Belt drives. , No I will never cut a sprocket for a key to be used..

The Sprocket and Shaft has a TAPER fit. , and that has destroyed many an engine in Amerika , read my lips . ! .

Slipping sprocket is bad news , SO I check that taper is correct and torque bolt to 45 foot pounds Amerikan . Yes I know what the Bentley say. I also lap in the taper using Valve grinding compound . then test that blunt nose of shaft does NOT touch the thick Washer. (very important). hagar is fuzzy , so no failures EVER. .
Do I use a "DRY" taper ? NO I use "NEVER-SEEZ" . . Has slipping Sprockets been a problem ? IMHO one destroyed engine is one too many , so YES.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : ctange : said : So you were in denmark at this time? interesting. , Answer incredibly interesting .

I was a Freedom Fighter in 1945 aka "Frihedskæmper" , a good one., more than that I was a group leader..

My weapon ? a pair of side-cutters . All the Radar's ,Searchlights and AAA locations were interconnected with Field telephones and the wires were strung on the ground, get it ? hagar and his group were the snippers of all time. Yes the Saboteurs of Amager.. ("sappers"?). Does this entry have DIESEL content ? more than you will ever know..
In May 45 when the Wehrmacht walked home , they had to leave ALL their diesels behind , and hagar was right in there like a dirty shirt . SO ? now in 2009 I drive German Diesels.

hagar.

PS : ctange where were you born ? . the 1.6 L Turbo is a fine engine.
slowbirds
Cetane Booster

hagar

Post by slowbirds »

Happy Birthday Hagar!!!!!! Hope you have many more. :D :D
slowbirds
Cetane Booster

Post by slowbirds »

This was taken on Oct. 18 09 at hagar`s beer garden.
Op-Ivy
Turbo Charger

Post by Op-Ivy »

Good pics!
1990 TD Jetta - 490,000Km
DervConvert
Cetane Booster

Post by DervConvert »

Happy belated Birthday and best wishes from across the pond, Hagar !!!

I sincerely hope you have many more to come.
Regards,
M
FineFrank
Turbo Charger

HBD

Post by FineFrank »

Happy birthday, Hagar.Nice fire. Did you use the blower to help it start?
DervConvert
Cetane Booster

Post by DervConvert »

Once you'ver recovered from your celebrations Hagar, may I put you to task over all the promises you made over the years in this thread? :D

I have tried to read and read and read so I wouldn't have to trouble you but some thing's allude me such as how to read an oil blotter - I have two samples sitting here hoping and waiting for you to tell us how to read them. Ok, I can read that they're dirty but is there anything else that can be distinguished as you mentioned magnification?

What are the tricks you learned from such like Lucky Lindy whom taught pilots how to go further on the same fuel or carry more load during take-off (though weren't they mostly petrol/gas engines)?

Where can I find the postings by "Dan Simoes gang. Loren and Gary Bangs and Doyt Echelberger"

Do you post on other forums and should I be reading those also?

Sorry for so many questions in one post but I'm sure you realise I've got many more to come 8)
Regards,
M
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : DervConvert and ALL , put my feet to the FIRE by all means..

Am I loyal to Jack and Dan ? very . Why ? they are both higly respected "Purveyors" of VW diesel parts..

Ergo they are in competition. and I never heard any complaints of ripp-off by either one.

Every morning I read all entries in both forums . In Jacks I read VW Diesel (General) and in Dans I read the " Archives" " The Vwdiesel Archives " . I hagar has some Diesel savvy BUT very little "Puter" savvy..

The "Worm" has puter savvy so ask him EH ? he writes in both forums..

About Audifans
Mailing Lists
Archives Knowledge Base and FAQ
Marketplace
NEW: Recommended Parts Suppliers
NEW: Recommended Mechanics

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Vwdiesel] More Quantum questions?
LBaird119 at aol.com LBaird119 at aol.com
Tue Oct 27 22:29:09 PDT 2009

Previous message: [Vwdiesel] More Quantum questions?
Next message: [Vwdiesel] More Quantum questions?
Messages sorted by: [ date ] [ thread ] [ subject ] [ author ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Older MB's used the series glow plugs and even had one in the
dash (sort of) that glowed orange when it was hot so you really
knew how long they were glowing. The later ones are 12v, normal
glow plugs like you're used to seeing.
The easy way to test a glow plug is to disconnect the buss bar and
connect a test light between battery + and the power connection of
each glow plug. If the ligt lights then the glow plug is most likely good.
Some will light up a light but not glow properly, such as glow on the
side, part way up, very slowly, etc. Those generally are on their
last legs but not always.
I agree it sounds like you have an air leak in your system. The
most common place is on the return side. The large hose from
the pump banjo to the return hard line is usually good for about
15 years before it starts to look slightly wet or dark, dirty. They
start letting air in a year or so after that starts. The small
return hoses can leak, I've seen the nipples on the injectors
cracked, fuel can leak on the high pressure lines and between the
injector halves but that usually won't cause air in the system.
ANY inlet side hose connection is a possible culprit for letting air
into the system and the hose clamps should be checked. If the
clear line gets bent or kinked, it can crack a pinhole that will let
air in but not fuel out. I've had just about every one of these
problems and most were at one time on the Rabbit!
Loren

hagar.