Injection pump removal and timing

Anything related to biodiesel/biofuels, questions, answers, technical information for all VW Diesel Engines should go here.

Moderator: Fatmobile

1984george
Cetane Booster

Injection pump removal and timing

Post by 1984george »

I'm leaking out of my injection pump. I drive a 1984 Rabbit with a WVO kit. Since I'm extremely frugal, I spoke with a diesel mechanic who agreed to put the new seals on for me with no labor charges if I could get the pump off myself then time it and put it back on. I purchased a Haynes Repair Manual for the vehicle. However it's not as in depth as it should be and leaves me with a few questions:

1) Do I really need a puller for taking off the toothed drivebelt, or will another trick work safely?
2)I understand I need a dial indicator to time the pump. Where is the cheapest place to get one?
3) 2 of my injectors also need replacement. Are those okay to buy used if they are functioning okay?

Thanks for any help anyone might have.
Daren
2003 Jetta TDI, 100k miles
Greasecar Kit
uzzo2
Diesel Freak

Re: Injection pump removal and timing

Post by uzzo2 »

1984george wrote:I'm leaking out of my injection pump. I drive a 1984 Rabbit with a WVO kit. Since I'm extremely frugal, I spoke with a diesel mechanic who agreed to put the new seals on for me with no labor charges if I could get the pump off myself then time it and put it back on. I purchased a Haynes Repair Manual for the vehicle. However it's not as in depth as it should be and leaves me with a few questions:

1) Do I really need a puller for taking off the toothed drivebelt, or will another trick work safely?
2)I understand I need a dial indicator to time the pump. Where is the cheapest place to get one?
3) 2 of my injectors also need replacement. Are those okay to buy used if they are functioning okay?

Thanks for any help anyone might have.
1) Yes, you do need a puller, when I pulled mine off I just used a 3 jaw puller that you can rent from advance auto parts.
2) Jack sells the tool for timing the pump @ vwdieselparts.com
3) your best bet there IMO is to take all of the injectors to an injection shop and have them pop tested and rebuilt if necessary.

As far as manuals go, you need to get a bentley manual for these cars, there's much more info in them. Also, you'll want to make sure whoever this person that is going to reseal the pump for you knows what they are doing. Lots of little pieces in that pump that will go everywhere if you don't know what you are doing when disassembling it from what I hear. There's a guy on ebay that does it for $115.00, he did mine about a year ago and it's doing just fine.
"You are not to inquire how your trade may be increased, nor how you are to become a great and powerful people, but how your liberties can be secured; for liberty ought to be the direct end of your Government."

Patrick Henry
June 4, 1788
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Get ahold of libbybapa for an alternative for the dial indicator he is building.
You can get the injection pump sprocket off by wedging screwdrivers against the sprocket at points 180 degrees apart.
Tap on the screwdrivers so they are pushing hard against the sprocket, then hit the center with a soft hammer,.. or even hitting an area in the center of the sprocket will often cause it to let loose.
Remember to loosen the nut but don't remove it.
We don't want the sprocket flying across the workspace.
I got this method from libybapa and it has worked most of the time,.. sometimes I need to use my sprocket puller.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
1984george
Cetane Booster

Post by 1984george »

Thank you both for your suggestions. I will give it a try.
Daren
2003 Jetta TDI, 100k miles
Greasecar Kit