The road (path) less traveled

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Fatmobile
Global Moderator

The road (path) less traveled

Post by Fatmobile »

A local told me he had more wood than he could cut and asked if I wanted some firewood.
He said to take the path to the north of his house. I wish I had brought my camera to take a picture of the mud hole it "ended" at. When I got back into the woods where he was cutting. He looked at me and asked, "How the hell did you get through that puddle?"
I went around it and THROUGH the woods.
We dropped a couple trees that day.

I went back out there today and looked around, cut a Rabbit load and got an idea where to cut next time.
There was an ATV path that cut into the woods

It worked well until I tried to get through the path between the 2 curved trees.
I ruined a hubcap when I tried to get to my left and angle my way between the trees,... there was a piece of concrete (see my hubcap sitting on it?) that wouldn't let me get to the left.

There was no way to get over and around the tree so I made an alternate path,.. to the left:

Lots of good wood out there. Most of it is by the main path just ahead in the last picture.
Which is a little wider :D .
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
rabbit_man
Turbo Charger

Post by rabbit_man »

Rabbits make pretty good off roaders :D , the good thing is when you get stuck they have enough power at idle to just put it in gear and get out and push.
You gotta watch out when gets unstuck it starts driving though and if it's reverse the door always trys to snag on trees and drifts and stuff :? .
Op-Ivy
Turbo Charger

Post by Op-Ivy »

Nice pics! Looks like fun!
1990 TD Jetta - 490,000Km
Ira B
Turbo Charger

Post by Ira B »

I cut wood in a place that is if anything even tighter to get into.
Went a few weeks ago with 3 friends who all had mid and full size trucks and flat out could not fit between the trees to get where the wood is. I ended up "yarding" the stuff out in lengths to where they had to park with the Caddy.
I does great off road but I suspect it is a good idea to drive gently. I love my Caddy and drive off road like it is made of eggshells.
Diesel Newbedo
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Yeah, I scraped the drivers door pretty good but that's the door the large limb fell against last winter,.. no door handle to worry about :D
I wouldn't do it with a nice Rabbit.
You hit it, the great thing is they are so narrow.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
VW cat
Turbo Charger

Post by VW cat »

I think that's a great story, a Rabbit lost in the bush. Obviously she feels at home there and gets around well. I suppose some of this was done on veggie oil, the other wildlife no doubt noticed one of their own too. Keep the Rabbit travel stories coming. Phil :D
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Lesser roads (no road ??

Post by hagar »

VW cat : I also like those "first hand" accounts . Leet us have one from Belleville. ? . I did a lot of my time around that area "Ottawa Valley" in 1957 and on.

hagar.

PS : say hello to my old friend Sandy Cameron in Stittsville .(he is a VW diesel expert)