alternator belt

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Alternator belts.

Post by hagar »

coke say he use Contitech belts even when made in Mexico they are good belts..

I joked about made in Denmark EH ? joke aside I just looked at my two new belts yes made in Danmark.
Rofan 10 mm belts.. Here is what I carry as a limp home belt. Good year Gatorback 15356 11 AV 0890. made in Mexico.

coke do your belts last a long time ?.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Rabbit Alternator Belts. 10mm.

Post by hagar »

Alternator belts. : coke where are your CONTITECH belts made ?
. In May and June 2009 I found bundles of brand new belts. (yes I must
be senile) CONTI , Good-Year , Gates and others.

Two made in Germany CONTITECH CONTI -SF. AVX !0 x 875 La .
Duckling got a 10mm made in Denmark installed yesterday .

When Duckling arrived here last year the belt broke. The strange
thing was that the "TEETH" was on the outside.?.

hagar.
Josh
Turbo Charger

Post by Josh »

The Gates belts I have installed have all appeared to be of top quality regardless of place of manufacture.

Contitech timing belts from Jack are made in mexico, but I don't know that any version of the belt exists that is made from the longer wearing stuff used in the latest long-lasting serpentine belt setups. I'd be interested in anybody has found a sturdier timing belt than the contitech. The cheapo joints sell crap, and the warranty is just a gamble for them. Don't buy them!
-'79 rabbit, getting parted out
-'82 quantum wagon, gutting.
-'84 rehabbed quantum TD sedan, southern rustless beauty for sale
-'82 cherry Westy from AZ
-more all the time; are they breeding?
scottmartin49
Cetane Booster

Post by scottmartin49 »

I was looking at the Contitech fitment site-it's in German- and noticed 2 belts listed for GolfII 1.6d and 1.6td. They are 685mm and 700mm, NO 695. Could it be that the 685 is the better fitment? It would be tight to get on, but the idler pulling the belt out of contact with the pulley would become less of an issue.

Its always seemed to me that the 695 is kind of a sloppy fit unless you're trying to fit an 11mm belt into a 9.5mm (this is the actual factory spec.) pulley.

Has anyone tried this?

Scott
wolf_walker
Cetane Booster

Post by wolf_walker »

I've always had trouble with alt belts on A1 cars. And after putting mine back together after sitting for three or four years, I tightened up my flopping new (contitech) alt belt for the 2nd time in 200 miles tonight, and it's at the end of it's adjustment range. The top of the belt is concave, and I know you think they were over tightened, but they aren't. I think these alt's draw on the belts hard, especially after cold start with the glow plug draw and all that. Soon as you blip the throttle to kick the alt light off you can really hear it usually. The A2 chassis, along with better motor mounts, had a better belt setup. Not perfect, but better. I think that was the one that puddles would make them squeal.
I don't know, sure is annoying though. I bead blastes and checked the crap out of ALL the pulleys while I had the motor out, remember this grief from years ago. I straight edged the pulleys and all when the motor was on the stand, looking for miss alignment, nada. Thank god the timing belts hold up better.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I think the difference in suggested belts size has to do with what pullys were used that year.
Big center hub on the waterpump uses different pullys.
Often the best belt,
the one that will last the longest,
will require me to take the whole alternator off and put it back on with the belt,...
it's that short.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
rabbit_man
Turbo Charger

Post by rabbit_man »

My alt belt got so it wouldn't get tight enough and would squeal so I got the next shorter size and it's been perfect ever since, almost a year.
wolf_walker
Cetane Booster

Post by wolf_walker »

10x875 is the contitech listed for mine, wonder if I can get a 10x865 maybe.
scottmartin49
Cetane Booster

Post by scottmartin49 »

Fatmobile wrote: Often the best belt,
the one that will last the longest,
will require me to take the whole alternator off and put it back on with the belt,...
it's that short.
Thanks, thats the line of reasoning I was going with. The original Dayco (11x695) the parts store sold me is out to the end of its tether anyway so on goes the 685. I measured the distance from the idler to the compressor so as to keep clearance as the lengths drop and I'll post when I figure out just how short a belt will work!
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

There was a bulliten regarding worn pullies with a updated part number pully, that related to belt wear
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
scottmartin49
Cetane Booster

The results are in!

Post by scottmartin49 »

Best 1985 Golf 1.6na alternator belt is....

Contitech AVX 10x675 (euro made)

10x660 is too short (I've got one to sell if anyone's looking)
10x685 works well but is unneccesarily long

The old euro belts seem to be of much better quality than the others; found a source over on Ebay- he goes by "Randymofoco".

No squealing, slapping, etc. when wet.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

CoolAirVw wrote:There was a bulliten regarding worn pullies with a updated part number pully, that related to belt wear
What model?
I had to swap belts on the Rabbit today, actually an alternator swap but the belt was at the end of adjustment.

I compared the old one to the new NAPA belt:
I think it was part number 25-7330.
The one I took of was thin compared to the new one.
I had to remove the alternator to put it on and it was so tight on the loosest setting that I didn't need to adjust it.
That belt goes from tight as can be, too loose as it gets.
I saw a wobble in the waterpump pully so I marked/messed with that to see if I could smooth it out,... we'll see.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.