Coolant glow plug effectiveness

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

caveman
Diesel Freak

Coolant glow plug effectiveness

Post by caveman »

Looking at my friend's 98 TDi that i sold him a couple of years ago. He thinks that it's taking too long for there to get heat inside. I never noticed a lack of heat [and i need the heat] so decided to check the 3 glow plugs in the flange on the side of the head. Got voltage going to them but no current, so either the 3 GP's are burnt or some other issue. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with them working/not working to tell me how far i should go to fix them i.e. whether they will make a difference.
1971 super beetle

1990 t3 transporter 1.9na
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

If you have voltage but no current the glow plugs are burnt out.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
caveman
Diesel Freak

Post by caveman »

That's what i figure. my question is how effective are they ? Do they make a big difference in heating the interior. I would of course imagine that it helps get the motor up to operating temp sooner.
1971 super beetle

archebald23
Glow Plug

Post by archebald23 »

According to Beru.com, "The diesel engine dissipates very little heat due to its high efficiency, this results in the usage of water heating during the cold season of the year for improved driving comfort. This warms up the interior and the engine more quickly.

In modern diesel engines with little heat dissipation, Glow plug with post-heating are used for pre-heating the cooling water."

So Glow plugs does make a HUGE difference in heating diesel car's interiors.
Last edited by archebald23 on Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
caveman
Diesel Freak

Post by caveman »

They do make a difference especially in a TDI that produces so little heat . Early last spring my friend that i sold my 98 jetta to a couple of years ago seemed to think that it wasn't as warm as it used to be. Checked the usual including the coolant GPs . The wires from the relay to them were burnt. Replaced the wiring and changed the fuse on the relay. Fixed and now has lots of almost instant heat. Next time i need to open my cooling system [ i have a vanagon and bleeding the system can be a pain] i will be installing a TDI flange with the glow plugs and trigger one or two relays when it's real cold. Not only are you heating the passanger compartment, you are helping to bring the motor up to operating temps sooner.
1971 super beetle