cold weather start solutions

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

carsronnie
Glow Plug

cold weather start solutions

Post by carsronnie »

1980 1.5 rabbit. im in the process of replacing the timing belt and was wondering if any particular pump setting would aid in starting. i would not be concerned with economy or power,but would not want to damage the engine.
1980 rabbit 1.5na
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Cold weather start's.

Post by hagar »

carsronnie and ALL :
" cold weather start solutions " EH ? Hang on to your Hat and fasten your seat belt .

The niftiest of all time ? A big Hub Cap full of Charcoal Briquettes under the Oil pan. (the guy was parked on the street in Montreal Quebec . He got to the Church ON TIME .

And we advance injection PUMP Towards Engine here at hagar's ., NEVER NEVER NEVER use starting fluid ( Ether) as a newbie.

start solutions ? too many to mention in this post Yes 100 below is no problem here at hangar's (it means leaving it running when shopping at the Beer store. (two keys).

hagar,
Last edited by hagar on Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I run my VW's a little on the advanced side. One of them is getting a little low on compression which is big factor in cold weather starting. I change the 15-40 to 0-40 oil and it made a big difference. You need 750rpm in order to fire so anything that impedes that will give you trouble. Battery and cable size is an other. Just try and go big.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
carsronnie
Glow Plug

Post by carsronnie »

i too am worried about my compression. ordered a tester yesterday. should a person test this through the glow plug or the injector holes? the engine doesnt seem to have much "engine braking" anymore.
1980 rabbit 1.5na
tawney
Turbo Charger

Post by tawney »

I test through the injectors holes; too hard to get to the two glow plugs behind the injection pump, but it does mean you need new injector heat shields when you re-install the injectors.
Starter RPM is a big deal for starting a diesel, especially in the cold; if the starter is old, just taking it apart, cleaning it and re-lubricating it can make a huge difference if it's turning slowly now. Good cables and connections; good battery; synthetic engine oil. If compression is really low, you may need a block heater; they're easy to install. On for an hour in the morning would make a big difference.
81 Pickup 1.6NA; '86 Cabriolet with 1.6 TD
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

carsronnie wrote: should a person test this through the glow plug or the injector holes?
Doesn't really make any difference in the results - just whatever method you prefer or the tools you have.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Cold starting a Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

In Montana ? north ? carsronnie you opened a big can of Snow Worms.. (good Timing).

I write this mainly for all those who got Rabbits cheap last winter (becase they would not start). Then you slaved all summer to get her working "Perfect" . SO ? now it is December EH ? and she will not start..

This is where we sort the Men from the Boys.

Here at hagrs it took years to get the drift of it. (mostly electrical) we begin at the BATTERY every time..

All the information you need is in the two forums. Jacks and Dan's.

hagar.
carsronnie
Glow Plug

Post by carsronnie »

well when i checked the compression,no cylinder was above 300 so i resurected another rabbit from my bone pile. hadnt run in 2 years. bought a 1000 cca battery and it starts at zero degrees without being plugged in. hope this one runs for a while cause i only have one more left!
1980 rabbit 1.5na